How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

anti-virus

(35 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Eddiebug1
  • Latest reply from misdaroc
  • Topic Viewed 1312 times

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

what anti-virus should be used with Windows 7 i was told that the worst one to have is Avast is this true and if so which one should i put on and what is the average price of it?

Posted 1 year ago

jmeeks49
jmeeks49

Hi Eddie,

Most of us on here use this http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....s-download i haven't had any trouble so far. Avast is a good one but tends to not to catch all of the viruses but it's all of choice here.

John

Posted 1 year ago

Superevil
Superevil

IMO I would say McAfee is the worst. Remember, there is no antivirus software that is going to catch everything as they are constantly playing a game of catch-up with the virus/malware developers.

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

Also avg scares me as there is counterfit copies made by hackers loaded with malware. anymore ya never know what youre getting only if ya buy the disk or get it straight from a secure website .

yes i know its rare ( like avg being hacked/rogue) but it can and does happen.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I personally use avast! on all of my machines. So far it hasn't let anything malicious in. I have the free version.

An AV that I would avoid is AVG. It is an extreme resource hog.

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

The new user interface of BitDefender Antivirus was designed to look right at home in Windows 7. The software is effectively organized and designed in a way that is both aesthetic and easy to use. BitDefender antivirus is rock-solid security software, and it's our preferred antivirus software for Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

The new user interface of BitDefender Antivirus was designed to look right at home in Windows 7. The software is effectively organized and designed in a way that is both aesthetic and easy to use. BitDefender antivirus is rock-solid security software, and it's our preferred antivirus software for Windows 7.

That sounds like a self promotion ad.

Personally, I don't like BitDefender. Caused too many problems in too many of my customers' systems.
Free antivirus I use MSE and Avast (not both on the same pc tho! never 2 av in one pc!).
But if you REALLY insist on giving your money away and pay for an AV, GDATA or Kaspersky if you have a good pc, NOD32 if you have an average to low PC.

I'm with superevil and bubbatie as far as McAfee and AVG are concerned. I would add Norton to that list, despite what many here believe.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It definitely was not original. See The Best Antivirus for Windows 7, By Taylor Thomas

Posted 1 year ago

bubbatie1
bubbatie1

Quoted from the free dictionary .com

Plagiarism

The act of appropriating the literary composition of another author, or excerpts, ideas, or passages therefrom, and passing the material off as one's own creation.

Plagiarism is theft of another person's writings or ideas. Generally, it occurs when someone steals expressions from another author's composition and makes them appear to be his own work

Gotta love copy & paste !!!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

silhouttejames, ball in your court.

I can see this as a very short membership

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I saw a report recently showing Avast being slightly better than MSE at catching viruses. The downside is Avast, even the free version, is becoming a bit top heavy. I used to use Avast and I was happy with it but I switched to MSE just to try it out when I got this machine last summer and I've been happy with it. For simplicity and ease of use, especially for novices, MSE with the Win7 firewall is unbeatable (although I prefer ZoneAlarm's free firewall, it does require some user interation, especially when first installed). In addition to an anti-virus program, the free versions of antimalware programs such as MBAM (Malwarebytes AntiMalware) and SAS (Super-AntiSpyware; don't let the Mickey Mouse name scare you off) are excellent choices that are easy to use, don't slow down your computer all the time, and are very effective.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I can see this being one of those topics that are gonna run on and on as everyone gives their preference. LOL

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

@vistamike - Silhouttejames could at least have spelled Silhouette right. LOL
Silhouette \Sil`hou*ette"\, n. [F.;

MSE all the way!!

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

seanbean
seanbean

After years of playing around with both free and paid for AV, I've settled on MSE in combination with Malwarebytes. Both "light" and seem to compliment each other.

Posted 1 year ago

gowthamgutha
gowthamgutha

I personally use avast! Free Antivirus because it of it's rock solid real time protection. I've also used MSE on my machine and that worked pretty well, it is light weight when compared to that of avast! but is not as strong in real time protection as avast! does.

Finally, if you want the best protection for your PC no matter whether it slows down a bit, avast! Free Antivirus could be the best choice, if you want a good protection that does not slow up the PC much, go with MSE

Posted 1 year ago

Eddiebug1
Eddiebug1

I can see this being one of those topics that are gonna run on and on as everyone gives their preference. LOL
GuiltySpark
that is what i'm wanting is peoples personal preferences then I'll tally them up

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

Would have agree with seanbean, MSE and MalwareBytes.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

@ Eddiebug1 ,

You could have just checked the backlog : http://www.howtogeek.com/sites.....1904533j14

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

It's all a matter of perception.

^That's my quote.

So, yes.. everyone has it's preferences.
I LOVED Avast, but with version 7 I didn't like a few things so I decided to try MSE. I was happy. Now with Windows 8 it's all part of Windows Defender. Sadly, there's no contextual menu to scan a file or folder "on the fly". You have to open up Defender, select custom scan, pick file(s) or folder(s) and hit scan.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

MSE, SAS, MBAM, Spywareblaster, Rapport, W7 F/Wall

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!