The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Anti-Malware for Android Phone and Tablet

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ReadandShare
  • Latest reply from ReadandShare
  • Topic Viewed 606 times

ReadandShare

I use MSE on my Win 7 desktop -- and AVG for my Android phone and tablet. I'm fairly happy with my current setup. However, I've been reading here and elsewhere that Avast is more effective than AVG. Wonder how Avast compares to AVG in terms of resource usage and also ease of use -- on Android phones and tablets?

Posted 1 year ago

Marquito89

I´m kinda new with the smartphone business. I bought an android phone and I would like to know, how screwed one is if you don´t pay for an antivirus or have a free trial? Is the phone vulnerable to malicious code even in that platform?

Posted 1 year ago

Scott

Marquito, welcome to HTG.
Feel free to monitor this but if you have a query specific for your needs,
please start your own thread.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Taken from: http://www.av-test.org/en/test.....s/android/

The best products in our tests (with detection rates of 90% and above) come from the following top 10 companies, listed in alphabetic order: Avast, Dr. Web, F-Secure, Ikarus, Kaspersky, Lookout, McAfee, MYAndroid Protection/MYMobile Security, NQ Mobile/NetQin and Zoner. Users of products made by these companies can be assured that they are protected against malware.

Products with a detection rate of between 65% and 90% can also be considered to be very good and have the potential to join the group of best products above if small changes are made to the set of malware tested. Some of these products only fail to detect just one or two malware families that may not even be prevalent in certain environments. The following 13 products, listed in alphabetic order, fall into this category: AegisLab, AVG Mobilation, Bitdefender, BullGuard, Comodo, ESET, Norton/Symantec, QuickHeal, Super Security, Total Defense, Trend Micro, Vipre/GFI and Webroot

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Thanks, afuhnk. Indeed, that was one of the posts I read! My interpretation is that AVG is OK but Avast is better at recognizing/blocking malware. But I wonder if Avast is also more efficient (i.e. less resource consuming) compared to AVG?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.