The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Answer a question to continue reading this page

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by PackMule64
  • Latest reply from PackMule64
  • Topic Viewed 3501 times

PackMule64

So what is up with the Google powered survey that blocks the content of web pages unless you answer a question....... or two?
Sample question from the survey I see...

Are you an online publisher earning income from advertising?
(question 1 of 2)

they change with each refresh of the page or next visit. Here is a link where this appears in HTG.
HTG mDNSResponder page with survey

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

PackMule64 hi. I don't get what you get at all ?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

It is a Google Ad which is allowed by a site. A special advertisement just like all the other aggravating ads that keep coming up. They pop up here on the H2G maybe once a day or so. That page does not do it for me either, but scrolling down the page something is wrong with it as half way down the page is grayed out. But the survey is random and should be ignored.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Found it. If you click on a button that explains it here is what it said.

Why am I being asked this question?
The website you are visiting is using a survey, powered by Google, to enable access to its paid content. Answering a quick question here gives you immediate access to the content you want without having to pull out your wallet or sign in. These surveys contain questions written and provided by survey creators that want to conduct market research. The website you're visiting earns money from the surveys that appear. This service makes market research fast, accurate, and affordable, helps to fund great web content and enables you easily and quickly get access to it.

Your answer is anonymous and is aggregated with all other anonymous answers to the question. It's not connected with any information about you, and is not used to develop a profile or to deliver ads. Once the survey is complete, an aggregated report is provided to the survey creator about the specific question it asked. Like ads on the web, some surveys may be delivered to you based on the interests and inferred demographics associated with your browser. You can click here to review or edit these, or to opt-out.

Learn more about Google Consumer Surveys or Google's privacy policy.

OK

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Would that be only if you are not logged in, and just visiting the site ?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

No it happened to me. I was logged in. It was about half way down the page and I did not see it the first time. Note the rest of the page is grayed out. It just happened again. Pressing the Learn more -- Privacy link in the lower right gave the info I posted above.

Posted 2 years ago

Westmoreland

it happened to me, too.

Posted 2 years ago

PackMule64

Xhi you are correct, I saw the "why am I being asked this?"
also but my question is: Why is HTG allowing this?
It seems as though it has to be a partnership or agreement between Google and HTG.
Unless Google is just highjacking the entire web.
Furthermore I did log in to HTG. I use HTG a lot but don't usually sign in and I had to recreate my account because it said I didn't exist. I also follow on G+.
The problem is that half of the page at HTG was unreadable. If this is not something HTG has agreed to, you would think they would be livid and ready for "Google world war III". I love Google but this is so wrong.
If it is a way to fund a site then so be it BUT set it up so that I have a choice of becoming a paid member of the site then I have options:
A) do the survey
B) become a paid member/subscriber
C) close the page and find the info somewhere else

as a note: I would pay for HTG The articles and how-toos are excellent.

Did a little trial and error,
the site works in:
safari
but
does not work in:
Firefox (my choice browser), Chrome, Opera and IE.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have contacted The Geek. See what he says.

Posted 2 years ago

PackMule64

It seems to be happening in many of the topics "what is "xxxx" and why is it running?"

Posted 2 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

This is something we are testing on a small number of articles. It shouldn't show up if you are logged in... will fix.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Doesn't happen on BlackBerry using Opera mini.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Didn't happen to me but usually logged in.

Posted 2 years ago

PackMule64

thanks all and to clarify I was logged and it still happened as it also did to Xhi.
Thanks to The Geek for his reply, I am accepting that as the answer.
It would be interesting to know more about how this "bug" oops......
I mean feature works. this was the first time I have run across it and haven't heard anything about it.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!