How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Anoying Vista Problems

(17 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by jackcartwright1990
  • Latest reply from ju1c3
  • Topic Viewed 2494 times

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

This is a bit of a long shot but i wonder if anyone can help me with some problems with my windows vista home premium system, first when i click on the start menu the shutdown button has vanished (the lock button has not) so i have to shut my pc down using a sidebar wiggit, also when i use Ctrl + Alt + Del the task manager button has vanished and i can not use it , the last problem is, i am the admin on my pc but the pc seems to think i am not, i can't made regestry changes and such and i can find no way to right these problems. If anyone can help me with these i would be very greatfull.

many thanks Jack Cartwright

Posted 7 years ago

thedudester

Can you launch task manager by using taskman.exe in the run box, or using the Ctrl+Shift+Esc shortcut?

It sounds like you somehow got denied permissions to your own computer.
Can you run this command from the start menu run box or an admin mode command prompt, which should enable the registry editor:

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Posted 7 years ago

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

Thanks for that, but i still cant get task manager to run, and i am also unable to find my run box, it is not in the list in the properties of the start menu so i cant get to it.

its realy anoying

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

What message did that give you when you ran it?

Posted 7 years ago

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

When i ran what?

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

The command that thedudester said to run.

Posted 7 years ago

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

i have no run box in the start menu only the search box

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

You can use one of the following:

Win+R (keyboard shortcut)
use the start menu search box, and use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to launch in admin mode
open up accessories and find the command prompt, right click and run as administrator

Posted 7 years ago

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

when i use the Win+R i get a box that says "this opperation has been cancelled due to restrictions in affect on this computer. please contact your system admin..."

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

I think you are going to have to try doing a system restore, and if that doesn't work you'll just have to completely reinstall.

There's no other way to get admin access on a box you don't have it on, unless you want to try some hack which probably won't work.

Posted 7 years ago

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

ok thanks, i you or anyone finds some new info please tell me.

thanks for your help.

Jc

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

Try to get the Run Command on the Start Menu this way:

Right click Start Button > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > check Run Command (near bottom).

Posted 7 years ago

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

Thanks but i have tryed that the run command option is not there.

Posted 7 years ago

ju1c3

see this is why i like linux better, it has the courtsey to give you a reach around when it screws you. vista doesnt.

use trk to get into the box and change your permissions

Posted 7 years ago

Skye
Skye

This is probably going to seem painfully obvious, but it took me a little bit to figure out how the administrator security system works. You need to run the program as administrator as well, which can be done by right-clicking the program and selecting "Run as Administrator." As for the real problems, heh, sorry. I guess I would recommend a clean swipe of everything. Are you able to backup your files?

Posted 7 years ago

jackcartwright1990
jackcartwright1990

Yes skye all my files are stored and an external hdd, and ju1c3 could u please explain what trk is because i realy dont want to wipe the system and reinstall.

Posted 7 years ago

ju1c3

trinity rescue kit. has 4 antivirus scanners and junk in it that runs in a linux kernel instead of booting into windows. fixes a lot of bad things going on in the computer. download the .iso and burn it to a cd using winiso or something like that. have it plugged into the internet. let it start up, type in virusscan -a avg and let it run. this might fix it becuase it could very well be a virus blocking your task manager. ive ran into that before. this is better then going straight to the wipe of the system.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.