The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Another Monitor Question

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by villaverla
  • Latest reply from villaverla
  • Topic Viewed 3452 times

villaverla

Thanks for your previous help about monitors - I did go get a new monior. Now I have another question ... the resolutions that it suggests are not the ones that my laptop provides. For example, it recommends 1600 x 1050, and my laptop only shows 1600 x 900 and 1600 x 1200. So the picture is stretched. I assume this is the difference between 16:10 and 16:9, but I'm not sure. Is there a way to correct this, or should I take it back? Will a different monitor make a difference? What do I need to look for?

I capture screenshots of the database software I work with to create manuals for our users, and I want to make sure the screenshots are what our users see.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You might need to get the latest drivers for your video card... the windows drivers don't always work correctly for that setting.

What video card does the laptop have?

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

Intel (R) 82852/82855 Graphics controller

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

You are either going to need to get new drivers from the manufacturer of your laptop, or you might have to use a utility like powerstrip to adjust it (shareware) http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

The problem is that the manufacturer of the laptop has disabled those video modes.

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

So will a different widescreen monitor work better? Or is that not the problem at all. I just went to the Gateway site and downloaded a new driver for my graphics card, and it doesn't seem to have made any difference.
Will the utility you mention above help in my case, even if those other modes are disabled? ... guess it can't hurt to try it.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Is there a separate utility to configure the intel graphics controller? For instance on my ATI card in my laptop, I have a separate ATI control center utility that I can use, which gives me all sorts of extra settings.

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

I now have an icon in my taskbar that lets me quickly change resolutions, so I can change it back to 1280 x 768 if I need to capture a screenshot. And I think maybe that is what I will have to do. I don't want to leave it at 1280 because then I don't have as much room to view on the monior.

It doesn't seem to give me the other resolutions that I wish I could have. Unless there is something in there that I don't know about. Any suggestions on anything else I should be looking for in the graphics properties popup that comes up now?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Doesn't it have a slider in the properties somewhere to select the resolution? I don't mean the windows properties, but the intel graphics thing.

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

Yes it does, I can see the possible resolutions in several different places. The only one available for 1400 is 1400 x 1050. There are two that start with 1600 -- 1600 x 1200 and 1600 x 900. The monitor, however wants 1600 x 1050, and that is not one of my choices. I have other choices, like true color vs. high color, but these are the only number combinations.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Did you try that Powerstrip software? It's supposed to let you set custom resolutions.

Posted 6 years ago

villaverla

No, I haven't. But I will now. thanks

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!