How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Another Batch file question

(18 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Smashpmk712
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1555 times

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

As you will find I will be writing a lot of batch files. I need to create a batch file to place an icon on the desktop .... Easy. Is there a way to place it in a specific location on the screen?(possibly by pixel?).

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

whs, lighthouse, taybay, any clue how to do this?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

why us? why not the Geek, or Scott, or JD, or all our other helpers?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Haha. Umm I don't know how to do that in a batch file, but figuring it out with Autohotkey could be a possibility. You could incorporate an autohotkey script into your batch file. http://www.autohotkey.com/

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

I just threw out some names .... anyones help would be much appreciated!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sorry taybay, no offense meant

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

Thanks taybay.... I will take a look at this option. I think it will take me a while to read up on the program and learn to use it. I will let you know asap.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Sorry Smash, I'm the helper for the easy question. No clue regarding your question here. If you wanted to know how to press the start button, I could help you for sure.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

thats the thing in the upper left hand corner right .... oh wait thats an apple.... haha

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

An apple waiting to fall. hence Newton

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

I would love to use a mac but windows makes me to much money...

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

What a weird turn this thread took.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I don't think there is any way in the Windows API to say where a shortcut appears.
Why do you want to control that?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

especially if you you think about macs and windows (English & Dutch jokes)

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

@ jd2066,
I work for an accounting firm with about 60-70 users. I am one of 2 network admins. I told the other network admin that I had created a batch file to add a shortcut to the desktop for a piece of software that I was going to put in an email and have the users run themselves.(I'm a lazy IT person what can I say ...). After that he challenged me to have it put in a specific spot on the desktop. (I.e. the lower right hand corner). That way in the email we could say that it would appear there. I know that it is a trivial thing but now it’s a thorn in my side because I know there must be a way to do it and its going to be an annoyance until I do it. I will let you guys know if I am ever successful. At this point I don't know if I will be.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Ah. In that case, AHK is probably out of the question. I don't think this is possible. Icon placement is so arbitrary in windows, it sometimes seems as if the icons move around by themselves..

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You might be able to do it with AutoIt3 as there is an script at http://www.autoitscript.com/fo.....opic=53209 that uses it for saving and restoring desktop icon positions.
Though I think in the end trying to make a script that does what you want maybe more work then it's worth.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Smash, check this out. maybe it helps.
http://www.download32.com/desk.....30361.html

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!