The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Annoying Vista Virus.

(4 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Rocky
  • Latest reply from mysticgeek
  • Topic Viewed 2053 times

Rocky

My nephew asked me to take a quick look at his new Laptop, it has a registry Virus on it that continues to bring up the Windows Explorer has stopped working window.

Norton doesn't clean it off, much less point out it has a problem.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b091
Fault Module Name: xtsyynm.dll_unloaded

anyone know a quick fix or is paving the drive and starting again the only possibility?

Rocky

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

One of the options you might want to try is a system restore. If you have the vista cd, you can boot off of it and then choose to repair the existing installation. That will often fix the problem.

Otherwise, there's a good chance that it's spyware, not a virus. Download and run SpyBot Search & Destroy from here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I'll have to agree... the problem is most likely because of something that was installed on the computer (gotta be careful what you download). System restore is a very good option:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....m-restore/

It's also very useful to get familiar with SpyBot, since it's one of the better anti-spyware tools.

Norton isn't very good, but did you make sure the virus definitions are up to date before scanning?

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

I am thinking this is malware .. not unnecessarily a virus. I would boot into "safe mode" then run Spybot after you download the most current updates.

If Spybot does not detect and remove it ... you might want to go into the Registry and manually remove it ... but that would depend upon your comfort level ... You don't want to mess around in the Registry unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.