The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Annoying Pop Ups on Some Sites

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by LadyFitzgerald
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 1384 times

LadyFitzgerald

Some websites I go to have annoying pop ups for "Most Popular Services," none of which I use (such as links to Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc.), when I cursor over them which block the content I'm trying read. I have Windows (XP Home) set to block pop ups. Some other sites have pop ups for Bing or Yahoo when I cursor over "key" words. Is there any way to turn these misbegotten things off?

Posted 4 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Its called IntelliTXT and the words that show the adds are usually in green.

What browser are you using?? use a add blocker

A host file will block them.

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I can pretty much navigate around the green words in sites that have them. Usually the pop ups they generate aren't ads but are search links for Bing or Yahoo (or Google, albeit rarely). The real problem are the sites that pop up that really obnoxious "Most Popular Services" window.

I'm using IE but I have no clue what version. For some wacky reason, the version number (7 or 8) just doesn't show up anywhere.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Lady Fitzgerald, hello again :-)

Have you tried another browser? (like Firefox or Chrome for example)

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

In the menu bar click on "help" > click on about Internet Explorer. That is pretty common for almost all software for knowing the version. If you are running IE7 or 8 open the tools menu and click on internet options> then security> change the security setting, then click on privacy and adjust the cookie setting there. If you running IE8 you can adjust all these settings by clicking on tools> then click on Delete Browsing History. This opens a new page with several options. Hope this helps

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thanks for how to find the version (IE7 - it's a new netbook I'm using until I get around to fixing my desktop).

I have already blocked pop ups and cookies are set to generate a prompt unless I have already specified to accept them (it's my cotton pickin' computer and I'll determine who puts what on it when, thankyouverymuch).

Even though Firefox is better than IE (I trust Chrome as far as I can spit upwind), many of the sites I frequent (haunt?) work better in IE.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

I believe it's Flash Player that enables those things. It's hard to get along without it. You might try the Ad-Block addon to Firefox.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC
InterPC

Just as an extra suggestion sites that you visit can and will save cookies and other temporary files to your PC which can generate a lot of un-wanted pop-ups. To remove these unwanted files you could use CCleaner.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Flash cookies are typically found in,
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\XXXXXXXX

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

If you upgrade to IE8 you should see an improvement. If not you can (rollback to IE7 / uninstall IE8). I have IE8 and it runs with little problem. As suggested above you do need some type of browsing / cookie cleaner. These sites today are like leeches. Once they get in your computer unless you wipe them clean they are there and will haunt you. You can also modify your host file to prevent a lot of these from popping up. Google "host file" and I am sure you will find several articles. I think the host file in XP is in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. It gives some examples on how to modify this file.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I figured out the popups are from a "service" from an outfit called Sharethis. When I emailed them asking how I could shut off the annoying popups (it's not even advertising), they basically told me I was SOL and the site the popups originate from was responsible. I not so politely flamed them in reply for their irresponsibility for creating such an intrusive service. I contacted the site utilizing the "service" complaining about how obnoxious the intrusive "service" was and never received a reply. I have since informed the site I will no longer use it. While I have no problems with sites using advertising on their pages (I even look at them) but I have real heartburn with sites that use intrusive advertising or "services" and the businesses that pay for them, especially when I have my browser set to block them (Netflix, for one, is notorious for this). Those advertisers get notified I will never do business with them because of their intrusive practices.

Rant over. You are now being returned to your normally scheduled forum.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!