The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Annoying Norton

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by seagypsy
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 546 times

seagypsy

My new laptop came w/Norton, which is about to expire. I tried to install new Norton, but it stops running soon after the initial loading. I tried to uninstall the old Norton program in the laptop and that is not responding. So, I'm stuck in Norton limbo land! Yikes!! Help!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

ReadandShare

And after you get rid of Norton, download and install the free Windows Defender (for Win 8). Effective yet non-intrusive.

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Windows defender should already be on windows 8, just not enabled (I hope!), can't remember how you re enable it.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

First, assuming the 'new' Norton was the same, say Norton ISS 2012 and the new one was Norton ISS 2013 (which by the way should have been updated anyway it Live Update was running), all you needed to do was to ADD the new license. Each Norton product did it slightly different, but for ISS on the main screen is RENEW subscription and click on that and on the new windows is "I have a key or new code' and enter it.

If a different 'type', say just the A/V, use the Norton Removal Tool and then install the new one, it should work.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.