Stacy, you're right. The little scrollbar is annoying. I figured out that it is called "Virtual Scrolling" and you can disable it.
1. Go to Control Panel, and select Mouse. A window pops up with a bunch of tabs at the top.
Note: From here, your steps may be different from mine, depending on which touchpad you have. Mine is Synaptics. If yours is different, you may have to hunt around for Virtual Scrolling and disable it. On mine, the following steps worked.
2. Go into the tab called Device Settings, and you will see a list of one of more devices.
3. Make sure your touchpad device is highlighted.
4. Beneath that list, hit the button that says Settings. A new window will pop up with a options "tree" at the left.
5. Choose the option that says Virtual Scrolling -- make sure you click the word Virtual Scrolling, not the little plus sign next to it, and you will see one or two checkboxes for Virtual Scrolling.
6. Uncheck those boxes and hit Okay. Then you're good to go.