How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - ANNOYING ADS

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by BYTEMAN
  • Latest reply from StringJunky
  • Topic Viewed 845 times

BYTEMAN

HI FOLKS,

This is the first time I've visited a geek forum and the solution to my problem may be lurking somewhere on this server! I simply need to get rid of moving adverts on web pages without crippling the functionallity of the page (which is what the top security button on internet explorer does). Still images are fine and don't distract me but the constant flickering of moving image ads affects my concentration. I do a lot of research on the web relating to electronics and exotic birds for my website and don't need this crap. Any help would be appreciated. I'm using windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I am afraid that this is a decision of the webpage owner that will be hard to suppress. Sometimes you can quiesce the fickering by pressing ESC - but that does not always work.

Posted 1 year ago

cybervibin

i use adblock plus for firefox, and i assure u i have not regretted!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

BYTEMAN, what browsers are you using?

IE, Firefox, Chrome?

Knowing this we can find addons that may help you out of this.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

I use Adblock Plus and Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon with Firefox and Palemoon. They both work very well on both browsers.

Firefox is on my family computer and Palemoon is on my personal computers.

Here is Adblock for Chrome

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

You can get Adblock Plus for Chrome, Harltron...I use it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

But, ADs PAY for the internet. Better them than me.

Posted 1 year ago

BYTEMAN

Thanks, I'm using internet explorer 9 and will look for an adblock for this browser.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

http://simple-adblock.com/downloadpage/

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN

@SJ,
Adblock (not plus) was the first one I found searching the Chrome store from Firefox (I don't use Chrome).

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@Xhi. I agree about ads paying for the websites and, for that reason, I resisted getting an ad blocker for several years. However, obnoxious, intrusive ads, such as those with audio (especially loud ones), have pop-ups that obscure the website's content, and/or have annoying, distracting animations became so prevalent (downright predominate, for that matter), I got fed up and got one (Simple Adblock; works well on IE 8 and 9).

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

LF

Simple Adblock and AdblockIE (for IE) aren't user-configurable but Adblock Plus for Chrome , and Firefox, has the option to allow non-intrusive advertising to be shown, which is a good idea. The whole idea behind the original adblocker was to encourage/force advertisers to restrain the loudness/annoyance value of their ads and allow the non-annoying static one like Google text-only ads to be shown. The main developer of adblocking (Adblock Plus) was fully aware of the value/necessity of advertising to support sites and eventually modified ABP to allow responsible advertising. His name's Wladimir Palant if you want to check him out anytime. This is from an interview with him that illustrates how he would like ABP to go (2008) and has more or less been implemented;

"As far as development goes, have you done all that can be done or are you still looking at improvements that can be made to the product for future releases?

I haven’t even started. There is very much that can be done. Something that I hope to see happen in the nearest future is a community-driven filter database that will allow classification of filters, and that in turn should allow users to choose which types of filters they want to subscribe to (e.g. graphical ads but not text ads). Something else that is in discussion is a set of rules for “acceptable advertising” and the ways how a “certification” of ad servers according to these rules can work – users would be able to configure Adblock Plus to not block these ads then." http://www.firefoxfacts.com/20.....ir-palant/

@Harltron

Harltron,I getcha. Adblock Plus is the successor of Adblock which is old and websites can get round it's blocking capabilities. If you read the link he mentions this.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ StringJunky. I don't like Firefox and don't trust Chrome so I'm stuck with Simple Addblock.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

My "Chrome" is Comodo Dragon.

Posted 1 year ago

BYTEMAN

It is reassuring that other people find this form of advertising annoying and possibly counter productive as a marketing tool. I personally NEVER purchase from a company which uses aggressive marketing techniques. Maybe one day we'll get rid of this internet menace once and for all.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

In Android you have an App that supresses those buggers - Adfree. Maybe there is such a thing for Windows too - maybe this will work: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

whs

I have that on my laptop now and it does the job. If you follow the instructions it backs up your current HOSTS and all you have to do to revert back to is remove the three letter extension from the backup, which is also in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder, and delete the other one. Pages resolve faster too...I suppose this is because there's no waiting for ad servers to download their stuff. The only downer with it is it doesn't remake the page where the ads were if you don't use an adblocker like Adblock Plus as well which is configured to make it look good.

I also learnt to put my favourite websites in there and they are found much quicker because there is no dns lookup first...thanks to you. ;)

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I am glad you got it to work and thanks for the feedback. I myself do not really have that problem - I guess I visit few websites with bugging ads. But I do use Adfree on my Nexus 7.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

Blocking the download of unnecessary and extraneous stuff like ads etc matters when you are on PAYG mobile internet with fixed data allowance. Look after the bytes and the megabytes will look after themselves. :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.