The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Android Permissions- serious weakness and flaw

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Arie
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 298 times

Arie

This is a serious and a major security weakness of Android. Android, itself needs to include (not as another aftermarket App) a global permission management utility that controls individual permissions for all apps. The App install process also needs to include a Yes/No/Ask me for each permission. For example, “Google Search” or any other App, has no reason to “take pictures and videos without my confirmation at any time”.

Blackberry never accessed or shared any of my information. I am surprised Apple, Microsoft and other competitors are not capitalizing on this obvious security flaw in Android.

There is always a tradeoff between "trust" and "security". In this era when everyone should be concerned with identity theft and invasion of privacy; how can we allow so much flexibility and permission to Apps?
How can we use a banking App that deposit checks and know that another App did not capture and share the image or our back info?

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

I don't install any app unless the permissions are acceptable to me. Nor should anyone else imo.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!