SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

An error while exploring backup image created by Macrium.

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Thebeholder
  • Latest reply from Thebeholder
  • Topic Viewed 341 times

Thebeholder

Hi everybody.

I went to the destination in which a backup image created by Marcuim is stored to explored it. Then I clicked duble-click on the backup image file. After that, I asked to chose the partition I want to open. Next, I faced this error after after clicking 'OK'
However, when I explored it via the Marcuim's interface, I found there isn't anything explored, although the program assigned a letter as it is shown in Macrium-assigning.
Besides, when I have tried detaching the image, I found that there are many letters in the list.

I have tried assigned other letters l, m, n, but the same thing

Any comments would be appreciated

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I don't know what you were trying to do. Here is what I suggest:

1. Double click on the image file
2. Put an X into the little box in front of the partition you want to see
3. OK - and you should see the files of the image
4. It also mounts the VHD in Computer where you can open it like any other partition. That VHD will disappear with the next reboot or you can 'Unmount' it (right click).

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

How many Partitions in your image?

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Xhi, that does not matter. They should all show and he can pick the one he wants (X in the box).

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thank both of you so much indeed

I was exploring them with the way which is 'double click' on the image file and then I chose a little box in front of the partition I want to see. However, I didn't choose 'X' letter.
Why should I only choose 'X' now?

Posted 1 year ago

whs

The 'X' is a checkmark, not a letter. Just click on the little box.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

My point was that that was why he had so many letters was that there was one for each partition. My next suggestion was to try one of the other letters as there might be errors on the first partition. But, as you suggest, whs, just choose one partition to begin with.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

This is what you see when you double click on the image file (first picture)

And only after you set the checkmark, you see a drive letter (second picture). And if you click on OK then, the folders of the image will show up. But you can also go to Computer and look into the mounted VHD.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Could please understand me?
I was exploring with this way.
But after, I have recovered my Windows system from Image created by Macrium(that image was for the full internal hard disk, which contains four five partitions two of them are logical)

After, I recovered my windows, I reinstalled the Macrium, and then I did this:
I open the destination in which 'Back Image' is saved,
Then, I clicked 'duble-click'
After that, I showed a list of letters to assigned one of them as VHD.
Next: I chose one of them.
After that,
Sometime I saw the error whose screenshot is the first one on my very first post.
Other times, I saw the the error which says: "function is invalid"

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Yes, exactly as you said

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

The problem keeps showing me when I have tried exploring via clicking the image file or via Macrium's explorer wizard.

Although when I have tried exploring it via Macrium Scure Disc, I found all Images explored.

I would give you these steps, I followed to explored image :
When I tried clicking 'duble-click' on the image file in the destination, I saw only the error.

Then I tried exploring via Macrium program. Also, I found the same error.
However, via the Macruim:
Although the error shown down, when I return to explorer again after an after two attempts I saw that the letter I've previously chosen for the Image be explored is listed along with others under my computer.

The first attempt:

The second attempt:

However, i am a little bit surprised that the letters assigned listed in under my computer via exploring inside Macrium's interface. However, they are not shown inside my computer as a virtual partition.

These are the letters of partitions under my computer before assigning for the Image be explored:

These the letters of partitions are under my computer after assigning a letter for the Image be explored.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

For some reason it cannot read the K device. Can you get to that device e.g. with Explorer or does it show in Computer. The device (disk) on which you have the image must be up and running.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thanks a lot

I really don't know what you meant with 'The device (disk) on which you have the image must be up and running.', Did you mean that thdestinationon of my image should be OK. If so, I have two external hard disks, which I think are OK. Each of them has image file created by Macrium. I have tried both; however I faced the same error.

As I said before, there aren't any VHD(virtual hard disk) shows under my computer after assigned a letter.
But only I am surprised that when I went to the Macrium, I found that the letters I have chosen in the picture in which I set the checkmark were shown navigate via Macrium's wizard explorer . Besides, when I chose 'Detach the image', i found that the letters 'I and K' are shown. And this is evidence that the letters have been assigned. Haven't they? Then, why did they not show under my computer????????
I've tried this by restoringotring my image created by the macrium

Why do I explore via rescue disk of with witough any problem???

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.