The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Am I Grounded?

(2 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by rommer25
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 1149 times

rommer25

My son brought a kit on line. It is a standard case and motherboard, PC Chip 863G. I know many have not had good things to say about this motherboad but it is what I am working with. This is the second computer I have put together. The first one went very well. My problem is that once I got it together, It will not power up. I push the switch and the fan turns about a quarter revolution and nothing else happens. I hit the switch again and nothing happens. After a couple of minutes, I hit the switch and again it turns a quarter revolution. Does anyone have any suggestions? The kit came with a warning to use plastic spacers. The bag only had one with no instructions where to put it. All the holes in the motherboard line up with holes (raised holes) in the case. Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience, rommer25

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Wow, pretty old stuff lol. Anyways, the first thing I would do is unplug both the 20 pin and 4 pin power connectors on the motherboard, then plug them back in. I'd do the 4 pin one first, in my experience this has been the one that give me the most problems, it will seem like it is set, but one little extra push and it snaps in good. Plug in that 20 pin one then power it up. If that does not work, try clearing the CMOS by first unplugging the machine, move the Clear CMOS jumper from pins 2-3 to pins 1-2, count to five, then move the jumper back to pins 2-3.

Please note, if the jumper is on pins 1-2 and you turn the power on, you will fry the motherboard.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.