The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Alternate Ubuntu on MS VM

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by shaner
  • Latest reply from shaner
  • Topic Viewed 2119 times

shaner

I am setting up ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.iso on my machine using Microsoft Virtual PC 6.0156.0.

I have to use ubuntu alternate for my install iso because I only have 256mb of memory on my 1.2 Ghz Thinkpad T-23 laptop.

The alternate uses a text based install so I don't know how to set the "Safe Video" mode during the install to get proper video (I requested 800x600 but that was not good enough). I have instructions for configuring the kernel for safe video but I need to get to console mode login without a splash screen so I can edit the kernel configuration.

The instructions I found here on howtogeek to set ubuntu not to show the splash screen indicate I should edit a file. But how can I edit a file when I am installing ubuntu into the VM from an ISO image?

So I need to know which files to edit, how to get to them from my iso image and then end up with an iso image which will install into the MS VM and run in safe video mode.

Any clues?

Thanks for the help.

Shane

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Are you able to successfully install ubuntu? You really can't configure the kernel until it's installed already.

You might look for a boot flag that you can set when first booting off the cd... ubuntu will usually prompt you to hit a key to enter additional boot mode flags, and I'm pretty sure you can set safe video mode there.

Posted 6 years ago

shaner

OK, I figured out how to boot into a command prompt and I reconfigured the grub boot menu to let me use the Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get into the command prompt on a normal boot up.

But now my problem is how to get "safe video mode". I can't seem to find any documentation anywhere as to how to do this.

As mentioned in my earlier post I am using the "alternate" cd for limited memory environments and I am running under MS VM. So I don't get a boot screen that will allow me to select safe video mode. Where in ubuntu can I edit a file to boot into safe video mode?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!