SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Allow specifc application(s) to run as Admin from User account (for kids).

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by 11freddy
  • Latest reply from 11freddy
  • Topic Viewed 2356 times

11freddy

Running Win7 Pro. I am Admin, have created User accounts for kids.

The specific program is Bandicam (screen recorder), needs admin rights- something to do with DirectX. Every time it is run, I get asked to enter my admin password- obviously not practical.

I do not want to disable UAC.
I'm not keen on the 'savecred' approach either- seems to defeat the purpose of a user account.

I thought this trail had promise: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/ but was not able to make it work:
- if I create the scheduled task in my Admin account, then create the shortcut in the User account, I see 'access denied'
- tried also to create the scheduled task in the User account, but get an error "Task Scheduler cannot create the Task. User account is unknown, password incorrect, or user account does not have permission to create the task."

Have not been able to find a resolution to this... Hoping someone might have a suggestion native to Windows.

Failing that, I found this- seems like it could work: http://www.wingnutsoftware.com/ Does anyone have any experience with 'EncryptedRunAs'?

Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I would not be running bandicam in any way or reason.

Just set up standard user accounts in win 7.

Your above secondary link looks like spam!

Posted 1 year ago

11freddy

VistaMike,

Is there a reason you would say this about Bandicam? Can you suggest an alternate screen capture SW? Tried EZVid but 'demanding user' was not happy with frame rate.

Also wonder why you call EncryptedRunAs 'spam'. Even if you meant 'malware', don't see how you'd make that conclusion. It seems to be on the usual download sites?

Did you read the post? I have standard user accounts set up. The problem is the program won't be run without intervention of an Admin.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Accounts are set up in admin as you very well know

I have said my piece; your EncryptedRunAs mention is wingnut orientated and you spammed it

Posted 1 year ago

11freddy

vistamike,

So far
- you've slammed Bandicam with no rationale and didn't answer 'why' or suggest an alternative.
- you've said my link is 'spamming' by which I guess you mean 'advertising' the potential EncryptedRunAs solution. You're entitled to that perspective, but that was not the intent.

What you haven't done is to suggest anything useful to resolve the problem I have which is to provide a reasonably secure means to allow a 'User' to run a specific program that requires admin rights. Given the two responses, I don't seem to have been able to communicate the problem to you.

Hope someone else can grasp the issue and chime in if they have a suggested solution.

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

I did slam it because it is unknown to this forum and a test ensured it is not good.

'Hope someone else can grasp the issue and chime in if they have a suggested solution'

However, you already have the account facility in windows, so what is the problem?

My problem with the above is the way you ask the question to admin the account.

Ask the question again

OK,

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Parental control allows you to list and use specific programmes

Parental control>User Controls>allow and block specific programmes

Posted 1 year ago

11freddy

Drizzle,

Doesn't look like you can apply parental control to an Admin account. If it is a User account but the program needs Admin rights to run does the Parental Control somehow grant those rights?

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

If you allow it in the Childrens user account as one for them to use.
Then the next time it is played in the user account, it should play with out the request for Admin..as you have already authorised from the admin account.

Test it for yourself, remember to restart computer after any authorisation.

Posted 1 year ago

11freddy

Drizzle,

I tried your suggestion but it made no change- still required entry of an admin password to run Bandicam. (And yes, I did restart after turning on Parental Control and before trying the program).

Would welcome any other suggestions...

Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

11freddy

To close off this thread... in case anyone has a similar challenge.

I was looking for a solution for 'User' accounts to be able to run a specific program (Bandicam) requiring 'Admin' access without having to enter the Admin password into the UAC.

I tried the Parental Control based solution, unfortunately it still requested the Admin password.

I tried EncryptedRunAs. It gave an error code in the case of Bandicam, and when I tried the DOS command 'runas' suggested in the FAQ the error message indicated the program still required elevation.

I found another utility called RunAsRob ( http://www.robotronic.de/runasroben.html ). It seems to take a similar approach to the link mentioned in the original post (creates a service with Admin privilege to run the program, then an shortcut on user's desktop to start the program. It works.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!