SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

All programs compatible with Vista compatible with W7 as well?

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by dnlkk94
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2085 times

dnlkk94

Are all programs that are compatible with Windows Vista compatible with Windows 7 RC as well?

Posted 4 years ago

mysticgeek

I haven't had any problems with any programs I was running on Vista with Windows 7 RC yet. Of course there is always compatibility mode which now included Vista SP1 and SP2

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

dnlkk94, hello. Most Vista programs should run on Windows 7, hopefully all of them by the time it is released. There have been reports of security suites for virus and malware protection that were not compatible with Win7 as of the beta. See this review by The Geek. The reports should push most vendors to fix any problems in their software.

Also, as mysticgeek mentions, it is interesting to see that the Compatibility Tab in Win7 RC has 3 settings for Vista as seen here:

Posted 4 years ago

dnlkk94

Thank you very much guys; I appreciate the info. :)

Posted 4 years ago

dnlkk94

Oh wait. Please forgive the double post; didn't want to spam up the forums by creating yet another thread for a small question:

If I install W7, will it keep my current files & programs?

Posted 4 years ago

Rott22

It will if you perform an IUpgrade if ure doing a clean install use the windows easytransfer, wich IMHO sucks, youll be better off reinstalling everything, and make sure you enjoy doing it lol...
BTW, some programs that wont run on vista are running in 7..

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Rott22. Please. Would you care to elaborate (in a New Topic) on your comment "some programs that wont run on vista are running in 7.. "

Posted 4 years ago

Rott22

Done LH
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....post-90499

Posted 4 years ago

Rott22

BTW, Why 3 compatibility options for Vista??

Posted 4 years ago

eeeeeeeeek

I've found that some programs won't work becuase it's not detecting vista. While kernal system is pretty much the same, some programs won't work strictly becuase it doesn't see vista. Not sure if this can be corrected via the compatability manager, but wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

eeeeeeeeek, please share with us a list of programs that aren't working for you. Maybe others have tried them and found a way to make them work. Maybe someone will try them and see.

Posted 4 years ago

silverghost63
silverghost63

Scott - I cannot get the latest Zone Alarm (firewall only) to install under Win7, and Compatibility Mode won't solve the problem. Am forced to use the Windows Firewall. I was able to get AVAST Anti Virus to install, but I need the ZA firewall. Any thoughts??

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

SilverGhost, a quick search suggests that others have found that ZA 8 will not install in Windows 7. More than one discussion points to a half-hearted plan for Win7 compatibility at Zone Lab's forum. Maybe if you search the forums more, you can find an updated plan. If you *need* ZA to work in Win7, you should probably write to the company.

What features of ZA are important to you that are not in the Windows Firewall?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!