The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

All my programs keep "not responding"

(23 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by oceanhawk9
  • Latest reply from Odeho19
  • Topic Viewed 9547 times

oceanhawk9

I've ran MSE and MBAM etc.. but my programs keep crashing and saying "Not Responding".. what is going on?. It happens ALL the time.. and by ALL the time i mean like 10 times a day.. Its HORRIBLEY annoying.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Hi Oceanhawk. Do you see any error entries in Event Viewer? (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer)

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

Yeah it says ...
~ Administrative Events..........Critical, Error and warning events from all administrative logs

I double clicked it there were 26.460 Events.. all with errors or warnings etc... How can i fix that?.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Expand "Windows Logs" then click Application. What errors do you see? Double click some of them, look for a trend.

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

um. i would roughly say...
97% >Sound Recorder
2% >Search
1% >MsiInstaller, Application Hang, Application error and some other random ones as well.
~~The mass majority is from Sound Recorder from what i saw in the "application" tab.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Sound Recorder it is then. Is that an application you have installed? Can you uninstal it from Add/Remove Programs?

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

Sound Recorder is the default recorder that was installed with the computer. Its in the Accessories folder. I dont need it because i have a voice recorder within other programs that i have installed.. (that are not named "sound recorder") Its not in the "Add/Remove Programs" list. Can i just drag it out of the accessories folder and put it in the recycling bin?. Will it simply delete itself if i do that?. What would you suggest?.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

That's only a shortcut, deleting it won't help.

You could try disabling it. Type "msconfig" in to the start menu search box, open the Services tab, tick "Hide all Microsoft services" then look for Sound recorder. If you see it, uncheck the box then apen the Startup tab. Look again for Sound Recorder, if it's there disable it. Click Apply then OK.

Now restart.. Any change?

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Regardless of whether the above works, download Revo Uninstaller and see if you can uninstal with that.

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-.....87648.html

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

Sound Recorder wasnt within the Services Tab of "msconfig"
I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and its not in there either. I typed "Sound Recorder" within the search bar and nothing came up. Do you know what "Hunter Mode" in revo is?.
~ Also there were a good amont of Warnings from cdrom in the event viewer..
BUT i still cant find Sound Recorder to uninstall yet.. hm....

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

I found the target location of the Sound recorder application.. can i drag that into the bin?.

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

im given the option to delete the application if i want. i pressed "delete" and it didnt say "this will only delete the short cut.. bla bla bla".. so should i delete, empty the bin and restart?. i'll wait till u tell me what u think i should do.

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

well i deleted the Sound Recorder Application and restarted but all the errors in Event Viewer are still there. :(

Posted 4 years ago

Odeho19

If I remember right, oceanhawk, those are "logs", and NOT something that's currently happening. They're only telling you what HAS happened. Not what is going to happen. I'm certain PH will help you further with this. I just wanted to help calm some nerves for now.

Odean

Posted 4 years ago

TonksPC85

Ph will def help, I had a computer that has similar probs, its very annoying, I just backed up files and restored computer. easy option out :)

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

ocenahawk9, Sorry I dozed off lastnight... Had a good sleep though :-)

Have a look in *C:\Program Files\*, do you see any mention of Sound Recorder there? If you do, try renaming it - just add one digit at the end, that should be enough. Any change?

*If you are using a 64bit version of Vista there will be a second Program folder - "C:\Program Files (x86)" Check in there too as it could just as easily be there.*

Posted 4 years ago

oceanhawk9

Thanks Odeho and tonks....
~I renamed it "1soundrecorder" and i will restart now. Im using 32bit.

Posted 4 years ago

highpriestess

OK, please forgive my un-geekness. I have a brand new Toshiba A505 laptop. When I got my new laptop, I transferred my docs and favorites through Open office.org. I had a shell for Ms Office 2007. I downloaded an MS Office Pro 2010. My question however is: I have created docs in open office, in 2010. When I buy MS Student/office 2007, Is there a way to get all my docs, in the same place. And, can I open them all in word? I'm driving myself insane. More like a dork, not a geek. I have a friend who is a computer geek, But he has a problem talking to regular people. :)

Posted 4 years ago

highpriestess

P.S. And this compatability stuff. I can't get GRE prep to open anywhere. Have followed all the 'helpful' suggesstions, but no go. I really need that study guide,k?

Posted 4 years ago

LH

highpriestess welcome. Please can you post your problem in a New Topic. It is not polite to hijack another members thread.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.