SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Ahh! changed/lost Facebook password - still logged in, anyway to find it?

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by DejaVu
  • Latest reply from DejaVu
  • Topic Viewed 17078 times

DejaVu

Hi all,

I did a stupid thing. I changed my Facebook password out of suspicion someone accessed it (just paranoid, no proof & probably wrong) but now it's not taking the new password OR my old one!! Its probably an error on my part, because i cant i find where i wrote new one down (...IF I wrote it down!)

Luckily, im STILL LOGGED IN on my notebook. Unluckily, my FB account is over 5yrs old & haven't used email address I opened it with in at least 2yrs?

I can get into my account settings, options, etc, but if I try to add a new email account or try to change my password again I get a pop-up asking for password, without it being automatically filled in, even with asterisks, so I just back out.

Any ideas? It must be stored on this notebook somewhere, because I've never really had to 'logon' using it, only other pc's (i think im logged in automatically through FF's remember password, but I don't get screen with asterisks hiding the password, I just click on FB from desktop and I'm in.)

AHHH! I'm turning the house upside down trying to find either password written down, but the email account might have expired for all I know (it's a yahoo account). I cant believe there isn't anyplace WITHIN my Facebook account info where I could get my current password.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE FANTASTIC AND SOO APPRECIATED! Like I said, I have full access to my account from one pc, my notebook. But I'm afraid to try anything that might log me off, so I've only tried guessing from my desktop and friend's pc's - and even that has me worried that too many wrong guesses will effect my netbook automatic login.

This is so stupid, I can't believe I did this - btw, autologin is on an Asus Eeepc with windows xp, tried following instructions to poke around in registry to find it and in Mozilla file folders but no luck whatsoever.

Thanks so much!

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

You will have to contact Facebook to issue a new temp password unless your lucky and find the current password.
All personal accounts on any site require your current password before letting you change your password. Called "Security"

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

DejaVu ,

If your password is stored in your FF files/folders you may be able to use this tool : http://download.cnet.com/Passw.....99893.html

I haven't tried this so don't know how effective it is!!!

Posted 2 years ago

DejaVu

GuiltySpark, Ok - thank you! I'm going to try it right now :)

I found something while I was rooting around that really surprised me; I R-clicked on google (set as my home page) for no particular reason, then went to 'View Image info'. A menu popped up & under the 'security' tab was an option to show passwords for that site, google skins or something. I deleted that url to try entering FB - but before I got the chance, my user names and passwords came up for two different sites that I rarely use and couldn't imagine purposely saving!

I took screenshots, if anyone's interested, because I was shocked; it would only take 10 seconds for someone to grab those if they borrowed my computer.

Didnt work when i entered FB url, but more hopeful now they might be on here somewhere. Can't believe I had passwords that easy to access.

I post back if I have any luck with the Cnet download!! Thanks again :)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

When you log out or go to a computer where you are not logged in there is a "Forgot your password?" link. There you are given three opportunities to identify yourself. The first is your email address where you can probably get a temporary password sent if it matches your Facebook account email address. Try that on a different computer while you remain logged in. You can log into Facebook from multiple places.

Posted 2 years ago

DejaVu

XHI, when you say youre given 3 opportunities, does that mean if the email route fails, they'll give me my security questions to answer? Because that would solve EVERYTHING -

You're exactly right about the temp pass word, but (of course) i can't get into the email used to set up my FB account. I'm afraid if i try it and can't access the reset link within 24hrs or however long they give you, that it will raise some kind of security flag and log me off FB entirely. I haven't messed too much with FB to avoid that. I've been trying mostly to get into the email account first, which is looking less & less likely.

Yahoo has yet to give me an option to answer my security questions. Only to enter the email linked to that account ...and I'd swear I never added any, so that makes it a wee bit tougher. If the asterisks (*****@yahoo.com) represent the actual number of characters, then I know I didn't. For that matter, I'd also swear I didn't forget or change the email pass in the first place, but I guess I must have at some point.

Also, you only get ONE failed attempt before they start with the Captcha crap, THREE and they redirect you to the bs help page?? I use very few passwords. If I had 10 attempts like on a BB, I wouldn't be in this mess with either account.

I use as little log in security as is humanly possible with my email & sites like FB. I disable, stay permanently logged in or use the same pass because I haven't had to care whether someone in my house read my email or FB, and I never had any problems. One lousy night of painful breakup paranoia and here I am, lol. (I am careful on the other end; everything is set to private, I don't share with my 'connections' or plaster my account info all over the web)

Uugh. maybe my email expired and was assigned to someone else. I contacted yahoo 2x, so we'll see what happens if they ever respond.

Thanks for the help & suggestions : )

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

The first window after clicking on "forgot your password" asks for ...
Enter your email or phone number.
OR
Enter your Facebook username.
OR
Enter your name and a friend's name.

To identify your account

Then it asks for and gives you a hint of what email account and or mobil phone number you used to set up your facebook account.

If you can receive a reply to one of those you are golden, if not you can continue to Login and Password help page

Posted 2 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

The 3 friends option if you claim you have forgotten your password and say the email address you used is a way that any Facebook account can be stolen.
Moral, don't put any personal info on Facebook.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

DejaVu

AT last! I got it! :) I now have BOTH PASSWORDS! Email AND facebook!!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out with all the suggestions and ideas!!

Xhi - thanks for answering the "what comes next" question, lol!!! I couldn't find that to save my life, and I've had to use "lost password" help before on plenty of sites, but never Facebook. I didn't know if I'd get multiple choice or what - after I couldn't get anyway to use my security questions to get the email password, I was afraid to try it on FB, but thanks to you guys, all is well.

Seasider2 - you're right!!! Luckily I really don't have anything too personal on there, it's just that I've had it sooo long - the idea that I could lose an almost 5 year old account because of one stupid mistake - ugh! actually, I guess I do have some important stuff on there, because some of my saved pics and things couldn't be replaced (not easily anyway!)

GuiltySpark - shockingly, when I went to the link you gave me? One from the list of similar downloads WORKED - it gave me the EMAIL PASSWORD! I never, ever thought any of those actually found anything but your credit card #, lol, but it was free and low & behold, it spat out what I needed!

I'm very happy - THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.