SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

After download how long do I have to install?

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by baldeguy56
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 838 times

baldeguy56

Hi everyone. My new computer is due to come back from repair. I have read somewhere but can't find where I read this (on HTG), but I have downloaded Win7 RC a little over a month ago. My question is, that, is there a time limit from download to installation? If so would I be able to get another key at the Win7 download center? I do want to experience this OS. Thanks...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Garry,
---
Windows 7 Release Candidate
---
Copied from MS E-Mail to raphoenix
---------------------------
Notice: Downloads will end August 20

"....... We’ll continue to offer the RC download until August 20, 2009. After that, you won’t be able to get the download, but if you have the bits, you can still install the RC and get a key if you need one. To get a key, just go to the Downloads page and follow the instructions .........."

[ Key Link ] http://www.microsoft.com/windo.....nload.aspx
---------------------------

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56

Rick, That's real nice to know, because I thought the offer to download expires this month. Still waiting on repair no.2, but computer should be here shortly. Will the burnt disk (month ago) still be good even with a new key? Thanks...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Garry,
---
Appears YES; a new key from MS will work Fine if needed.
---
From E-mail
".... if you have the bits ...." [ The RC Download ], you can get a new key if you need one and install your RC from your burned ISO download when ready.
---
Just get a new key from the link in my above post if you don't already have one or lost your old key.
---
By the way, I ran the older 7 Beta version back in the spring Configured in Duel Boot with XP and it ran Fine. The 7 RC probably runs even better.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56

Rick, Again, this is great news. I thought I read somewhere that you only have 30 days after download till installation. Glad to know that' not the case. I will follow your link and get a fresh key, anyways. Thank you...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

LH

This is taken from an email sent to me by MS,,

Dear Beta Participant:

By now, we hope that you have installed and activated the Windows® 7 Beta. Remember that you need to activate the product within 30 days or you will experience reduced functionality. If you have misplaced your product key for activation, don't worry. Just return to the site where you downloaded the Beta , and re-enter your Windows LiveT ID to obtain the product key you were assigned when you downloaded the product. (Additionally, your product key will work for up to three separate computers so if you want to install the Windows 7 Beta on another PC, you can reuse the same key.)

So I'm guessing that's where you got 30 days from. On the Beta version.

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56

LH, Thank you. I knew I read that somewhere and am not crazy (or should I say, "Crazier" lol)...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

LH

No probs. I could see you there, scratching your head :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.