The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Advice on First Build

(28 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Shatto
  • Latest reply from Shatto
  • Topic Viewed 1154 times

Shatto

Hey guys, I decided about a month ago that I wanted to save up for a new, preferably game capable computer so instead of wasting $500 on a cheap laptop from Walmart just cause it was newer than my 5 year old PC and the little netbook I'm using right now, I decided to try my hand at building my own PC. I have the parts picked out and have a budget of about $2k

Put it this way I can barely run Minecraft on the computers I own now so I'd like this thing to have some kick if I can afford it. It will be for gaming mostly, hopefully MMOs, Skyrim, maybe Battlefield 3 if possible. I do realize that it's overkill on a strictly gaming basis but I will be doing other stuff like game programming and 3D modeling and some video editing. I would also like some suggestions for 120mm and 200mm red LED fans for the top and side of my case

I'd appreciate any feedback on the build and please let me know if I should change something, thank you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($111.01 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Apevia CF4SL-URED 25.6 CFM 80mm Fan ($5.79 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Apevia CF4SL-URED 25.6 CFM 80mm Fan ($5.79 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply ($166.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS312-98 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($89.97 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($157.58 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Wired Laser Mouse ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1954.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-26 04:40 EDT-0400)

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

New Intel Haswell 1150 CPUs and MBs to be released June 6, 2013.

Examples and Pictures in article below.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/asrock-sho.....z2OakaVMlk

Don't waste your hard earned money making an Out-Dated 1155 Ivy Bridge Build so close to June.

After June, you can keep your Haswell Build for may be 2 or 3 years.

Differences in CPU and mother board:

Haswell will provide better On-board Video.

Intel calls the current standard 4000.

The Haswell CPU will provide Video 4500.

Also one our Builders comments that "preliminary tests its about 15% faster architecture than Ivy Bridge" because of transistor changes.

With that comes less power consumption which means the CPU will be easier to cool.

If you Build the 1155 Ivy bridge now, your Build will not be upgradable as the Haswell CPU socket is for 1150 pin out.

A Year ago I would have agreed that your prospective 1155 Build is Good however with only Two months to go before the New Haswell CPUs are released, I would say now that you are wasting $2000 on Old Product.

Core i7-4770K: Haswell's Performance, Previewed:
http://www.tomshardware.com/re.....,3461.html

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Instead of the Vertex4 SSD I would take the Vector: http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....alParent=1

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

agreed that the haswell is a worthy wait, BUT there is a trade off. High end Motherboards still have to be manufactured and tested. whenever there is a new CPU family from Intel i wait at least a few months after the release for them to work out bugs and for companies to create high end motherboards that suit the CPU.

the i7-3770K is almost bulletproof, its a monster.

agree that the vector is better than the vertex.

as for case fans, the Cm sickleflow are great, cheap but work very well and are silent.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I run mine at 4.7 with a Cooler plus use SSDs so I just leave the Case Side Panel Off and don't need any Fans. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, you live in the cold country. In my office it is 82F - I like it that way. Soothes my old bones.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Because of failing health, I have to keep my house at 82F also.

My Electric Bill is horrible in the Winter.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Shatto, I see a couple of things nobody has mentioned. If your going for gaming, I would go with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8. Also memory DDR3-1866 with a timing of 9-10-9-28 will work fine but your will have to change the settings in the bios. The default settings will be DDR3-1600 with a timing of 9-9-9-24. If you use the DDR3-1866 before you change the settings, first check to see if your mother board bios need to be up dated. Because the up date will change your memory back to default.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Rick, my electric bill is lower because I don't have to turn the AC on. You live in the wrong place of the country. Come down to FL - house prices are adorable right now.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

I'd had planned on retiring to FL Ten years ago.

Unfortunately I was struck with unforeseen illness so now I have to live close to Best Hospitals and can't relocate.

( So much for "The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men" ) :(

BTW: I did live and work at The Cape on a project years ago and Loved every minute of it for sure !!!!

Now it's just a favorite memory I dream about.

Posted 1 year ago

Shatto

I already have the i7 so yeah but why the vector instead of vertex? The ratings and performance are worse and it's slightly more expensive

And why Win7 instead of Win8? Any specific reasons other than the different interface? Win8 pro is also cheaper than Win7 home premium

I have another question though, I really don't know what video card to get, I was pretty set on that one (I like Gigabyte) however I found out that most of their 7970 cards are now voltage locked, is that true and does it matter? If so would it be better to get a Nvidia 670 even if it's 1GB less?

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Shatto, I don't know where you get your information, but I have used both the Vertex 4 and the Vector and have done bench marks on both. The Vector is better and faster. Most people are not thrilled with Windows 8 and I think Windows 7 is a better system for gaming. Personal, I would go with Nvidia.

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Shatto, read this http://www.tweaktown.com/revie.....index.html
Especially page 15 Final Thoughts

Posted 1 year ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

win7 for gaming thats a certainty. many compatability issue with Win8 and games, ive struggled to get a mates Win8 PC to play even the latest games, like Dirt3 and BF3.

The 7970 is a great card, i too am more inclined to suggest Nvidia as their drivers are better. an option would be to run 2 x the 660TI's in SLI.

Posted 1 year ago

Shatto

Wow, so many suggestions for video cards, I think this is gonna be the hardest decision of my build >.<

I prefer something on the high end side, maybe around $300-$400? I really want to make sure the games I run will be able to run smoothly at mid to high settings
My job is temporary and whatever I buy now should last me a while because I won't really be able to change my mind later, I do want to SLI or crossfire in the future if I ever get the extra money but right now I think a higher end single video card would be better but I don't know what to pick. AMD or Nvidia, 7970 or 670 and then which brand, Gigabyte, Asus, Evga, etc

I do want to run two cards in the future but I heard about microstutter and that most games don't use dual GPUs
And as for the Vector, Newegg didn't have very good reviews for it Newegg reviews

Posted 1 year ago

Shatto

Sorry to double post but I also just noticed that on Newegg the performance for the vertex4 is also slightly better but they could be wrong?
Vector
Vertex4
Go to details and look at performance

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Shatto, then use what ever turns you on. You ask for suggestions and we give them!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Regarding the GPU. If I were you, I would first try to run with the Intel 4000 chip that is on the i7. That is a pretty capable graphics (check on the web). And if that is not satisfactory, you can still add a card. But potentially you can save a lot of money.

And if you follow Rick's advice and go with Haswell, you get a 4500 graphics chip which is even more capable.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3.....rom-intel/

http://www.notebookcheck.net/I.....567.0.html

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

PS: And if you want a really good SSD buy, get this 256GB Sundisk for $159.99 With Promo Code: EMCYTZT31567

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....20-171-741

But that offering is only good for today 3/27

Posted 1 year ago

Shatto

Unfortunately I don't have the funds to order the sundisk right now so I think I'm going with the vector

I also think I'm going with the 4GB 670 evga ftw edition instead of the 3GB 7970 from gigabyte because it performed better based on this http://www.videocardbenchmark......_gpus.html and I heard gigabyte is voltage locking their cards now

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!