How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Advice for anyone having difficulty get wzclite to work in your BartPE build

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Handytech2004
  • Latest reply from Handytech2004
  • Topic Viewed 1673 times

Handytech2004

BartPE, wzclite and fbwf..oh my!

I had struggled for months to create a BartPE build that would also have wifi connectivity, but to no avail. BartPE would load the driver for my wireless NIC card and I would go into the Device manager and see it sucessfully loaded, but could not get wzclite to start without this error: "The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request" after providing ndisuio.sys and wzcsvc.dll upon request from the running wzclite program*.

Turns out though that, unless you include the FBWF plugin (File Based Write Filter - which can be downloaded here: http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/PEIndex.htm ) wzclite won't start. After getting this problem ironed out every thing worked fine.

Keep in mind, however, that copying the FBWF folder from the unzipped FBWF.zip, to the pebuilder3110a\plugins folder alone is still not enough (and I think this is where most people give up or otherwise become frustrated). It is also vital that you copy fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll to the \plugins\fbwf\files folder of PEBuilder or the FBWF plugin enablement process in PEBuilder will fail!

Fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll can be found in the 'Windows 7 install DVD\sources\boot.wim . There are plenty of Win 7 install dvd .iso torrents online for this. You can download imagex for free, install it and then use it to 'undisk' the windows image file to get the files.

Dont forget:

1. to edit the wczlite configuration settings.inf script (look inside wzclite\files folder) to include your: SSID, network key, authentication and encryption information under [auto add]
2. to copy your wireless nic driver folder (or at least [driver file name].sys and .inf) files to the \PEBuilder3110a\Drivers\Net folder BEFORE the build.
3. unlike linux ubuntu 10.10 Live CD or Hirens BCD, which are great 'jump in and drive' offline rescue cds that feature wifi connectivity and nearly every NIC [driver file name] driver imaginable, BartPE is not only time consuming to build but also a bit of a pain to setup. Personally, after the bartpe wallpaper and gold nugget start button appear, I like to begin by clicking start-->system-->taskmanager-->new-->browse-->highlight and click xpelogon (if you've added Sherpya's xpe 1.07 plugin wich is a must). After xpe fully loads only then will you see any desktop icons or quicklaunch bar (bummer that NU2 never tells you this, so you have to experiment by trial and error to find out). then I click start-->system-->fbwf and set it for 64MB. Then start wzclite and then finally network configuration utility.

* to find the requested ndisuio.sys and wzcsvc.dll files, ignore the part in the window that pops up where it tells you to insert the Installation floppy 2 and just click 'browse' then navigate the drives under 'Computer' then select x:BartPE\i386\Windows\System32\drivers and \Windows\System32, respectively to find those files. Rem: drivers are almost always a .sys file so you wont find them with all the .dll files in the System32 main folder. Instead you'll find those in System32\Drivers subfolder and you'll find driver .Inf files in the Inf cache \Windows\inf).

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Who cares? If someone does sorry.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Is GOOD write up !!

I may be wrong, but think Bart's only works for 32 bit (x86) systems ????

Please feel free to correct my assumption as I haven't used BartPE in a while.

EDIT: I know (x64) machine will run (x86) programs so I could be wrong as I said ????

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

I think you are correct Rick.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Had to do this yesterday. Is a 6.5 Hour Download for me. That's why I didn't post until late last evening.

http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....px?id=5753 (3.0)
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....px?id=5188 (3.1)

Posted 2 years ago

Handytech2004

Actually, a BartPE that I created from an x32 xp pro sp2 installation CD works ok on my x64 Toshiba Satellite, all except for not being able to start network services which is likely a wifi nic hardware incompatibility issue, but there could be others as well. I've also used Make_PE3 to make Live mini win 7 PE's, but Make_PE3 does not have wifi networking and doesn't seem to permit the integration of plugins, which is why I continue to make BartPE's, because you can customize your build in so many varied ways. I recently downloaded KB3AIK but haven't had enough time lately to learn how to use it and frankly, I'm not certain if it will even allow me to make a win 7 PE that does have wifi capability. As best that I can tell it was designed for unattended building and network deployment of Windows 7 OS's to multiple computers so I don't see how that is going to fix a data bus size compatability issue.

As for programs that are made to run on 32bit systems that are installed on 64bit windows systems I've found that many install just fine, but a significant number still do not. The reverse is, of course, not possible.

Truth be said, though...whenever my computers or any of my friend's or family's computers have needed rescue or data recovery, I've mostly used the Ubuntu Live CD and HBCD and BartPE only if I need Easeus PM or Disk Manager because I didn't feel like using Gparted or Diskpart.

I just build BartPE's, mostly, as a fun hobby and also for both, the learning experience and the challenge of making succesively, better and better PE's!

As for programs that are made to run on 32bit systems that are installed on 64bit windows systems I've found that many install just fine, but a significant number still do not. The reverse is, of course, not possible.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.