The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Adrive Online Backup 50GB

(12 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by frankasanchez
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 4149 times

frankasanchez

Adrive seems like a great online backup facility, but I'm concerned about their Privacy Policy? What does this language mean?

Dear Frank Sanchez

Thank you for contacting ADrive. We received your email from our support department. Unfortunately, we cannot provide any more information about our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy than what is printed on these pages.

Thanks,
-ADrive Legal Team
Click here for the ADrive Legal Terms - http://www.adrive.com/terms

Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 12:40 PM
To: Frank Sanchez
Cc: ADrive Support
Subject: RE: Question re. Privacy Policy

Thank you for emailing us. However here we take care of technical support for legal questions please email legal-team@adrive.com

Thanks,
-ADrive Support Team
Click here for the ADrive FAQ- http://www.adrive.com/info/faq

Sent: Wed 9/3/2008 7:58 PM
To: ADrive Support
Subject: Question re. Privacy Policy

Hello,

I would like to register for your services. I have read, understood, and agree with the Terms of Service and the Privacy Policy except for the following points from the Privacy Policy for which I would appreciate clarification.

a. Information Collection and Use. ADrive is the sole owner of the information collected from its Users.

Does Adrive assume ownership of anything I backup or merely assume ownership of what Adrive may derive from from anything I backup?

q. No Warranties. Due to technical, legal and practical limitations, ADrive cannot warrant and does not guarantee, and You should not expect, that all of Your private communications and other personal information will never be disclosed in ways not otherwise described in this Privacy Policy.

What constitutes private communications and other personal information? Is there any present intent by Adrive to disclose these?

I believe ADrive employs good faith policies. Please verify this.

Regards,

Frank Sanchez

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Just skipping thru it I think it is similar to the Google T&C's - meaning, they own everything and are liable for nothing. It is the typical lingo that 20 lawyers worked on for 2 years just to have every i dotted and t crossed. If I were you, I would spend a few dollars and get an external disk - it's faster and safer and you get 250GB for about $60 to $75 - and nobody can snoop into your stuff.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

frankasanchez,
Welcome to The HTG Forums.
Agree with (whs) above.
Also if you have desktop or Tower, could always purchase other Internal HDs as well (They are cheap).
I'm like (whs).
I like to have my private "stuff" kept private and where I can get to it.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, now you started a whole new discussion - internal versus external disks for backup. I see it as follows:
1. Internal disk - advantage is speed, price and neat installation. Disadvantage is that it can be attacked by malware since it is on-line at all times (unless you make special arrangements).
2. External disk - advantage is that you can easily disconnect it and keep it safe from any attack. Disadvantage is that it is slower (unless you have the luxury of an eSata attachment) and it is also slightly more expensive.
On one of my systems, I use an internal disk for my weekly Ghost shadows (because it came with 2 disks), but I also make a monthly backup to an external disk that I keep in the closet. On my other systems I only use external disks for Ghost.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,

Not really starting another discussion; just reminding the member that there are many ways to back-up private data without resorting to on-line storage back-up.
Heck - I don't doubt we will have a 10 Gig memory stick to put in our pocket coming soon (LOL) (LOL).

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

http://gizmodo.com/338046/128g.....g-in-china

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

i had xdrive and moxy both lose my back up, plus uploading took forever. i found an external hard drive to be ten times faster and safer

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, how about a 64GB memory stick . And this one you can buy today. It is pretty good with a 25/12MB data rate.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs & LH & 0z,

YES - You see I'm just a bit behind in my storage readings (LOL) (LOL) (LOL).

That's why I don't argue a point so hard.

Just as soon as you one thinks they know all about "something"; another (NEW) "something" appears.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Those large capacity USB sticks will be especially popular with the SSD netbooks (like the Eee) that typically have only small SSD's. Once netbooks sell for €100, I will buy one. I already have an 8GB stick.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs & @LH

Yes remember not so long ago we talked about this.

In my opinion it is only a matter of a short time before mechanical HDs will be a thing of the past.

Just think about it - spinning platters, mag heads and servos, on-board processor to co-ordinate all of this in nano seconds ?? Just too much to go wrong. I'm really surprised mechanical HDs work so well.

With SSD atomic size (AND-memory) cells, pure physics says they must work and work well.

Just a matter of time like maybe (6) months and all things will change again.

Seagate, my favorite HD OEM is already planning for switchover.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I don't see the appeal of cloud storage for backups, except as an off-site backup. For a person who is always on the move, having access to the same files is another plus. Still, I would not store anything in online storage without encrypting it. Norton Ghost is capable of encryption, so I could copy a restore point with encryption before sending it to cloud storage. I could use TrueCrypt to encrypt files, but it's not meant for individual files so it would involve uploading and downloading an entire volume. Hmm, unless the could be mounted over the network with something like Jungle Disk.

In an old Security Now podcast, Steve Gibson recommended a program called Omziff for encrypting single files, but it does not claim to be Vista compatible. I think these online storage systems have a ways to go before they have mass appeal. Just like SSDs!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.