The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Adobw Flashplayer Installer/Uninstaller permanently running

(6 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Ursul
  • Latest reply from Ursul
  • Topic Viewed 5949 times

Ursul

I'm using Vista Ultimate with Service pack 2 and when I open the Task Manager (as I do often) I notice the 'Adobe Flashplayer Installer/Uninstaller' is always running. Even when I select 'End Process', next time I open Task Manager the little blighter is there again.

When I open the file location it is 'FlashUtil101_ActiveX' ... and it's an appication file within Windows System32.

I can't delete it but want to know how I can permanently stop it from needlessly running non-stop.

Cheers and thanks for any suggestions.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike

Hi Ursul, uninstall all adobe FP with the free version of REVO in advanced mode. Reboot and download from here http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

Ursul

Thanks for the reply Mike.
I did as you said; uninstalled Adobe FP using my favourite Revo, rebooted, downloaded from adobe and the fiesty little rascal is back (must be a brother of 'The Terminator'!!).
So didn'twork but thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers

Posted 3 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi Ursul, In IE you select Tools--Manage Add Ons--Enable/Disable Add Ons--look for shockwave flash player activeX and disable it--then restart your system check task manager Hey Presto GONE!!!

Posted 3 years ago

nt0xik8ed

also in revo, click on tools> autorun manager then uncheck adobe updater

Posted 3 years ago

Ursul

Thanks to all who responded to my situation ... seems it's not as easy as we thought.

@GuiltySpark; doing as you suggested worked ... until I needed to run the add-on to view a news stream which I use everyday (I'm dependant upon the internet for all of my tv(!) viewing as my connection is fibre-optic with 100mbps with unlimited download (for about $US10 per month). So as soon as I started to view the news I needed the little add-on back again ... my problem I know!

@nt0xikBed; Thanks but ti wasn't running there anyway ... I delete or disable everything I don't need starting up automatically - only run the minimum programs at startup (plus I hate shortcuts on my screen, task bar and notification area). I actually run RocketDock - keeps everything to a minimum and looks clearer!

So thanks all, but it seems that as I use the add-in the little blighter will just permanently annoy the heck out of me.

Cheers and thanks again

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.