The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Administrator priveleges in w98.

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by kurt
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 654 times

kurt

I have two machines, one with XP, and an older one with w98; I have a piece of software that works on both w98
and XP, *almost*. On the w98, it keeps saying I need 'administrator priveleges', or it will not start. Yet, the default
single user account on both XP and w98 is, by definition, 'administrator' . The software works fine on XP and is
supposed to work on w98. I even tried installing a password for the account, and loaded 'system policy' utility
from the install disk, all to no avail. The most amazing thing is that during the clean install, there is even men-
tion of an option which should only be used by system administrators!!!! Anybody know how to get administrator
priveleges on w98? tnx, kurt,

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

That is odd. I don't think any privilege separation like Administrator/Limited even exists on Windows 98. I think on Windows 98 you always have the highest available privileges and they can't be lower.
What program is showing this error?

Posted 6 years ago

kurt

Justin,
Don't know if I clicked right before, but the program is called HDhacker;when the error message(on w98) occurs, this seems to imply that w98 is
aware of 'administrator priveleges', or, possibly that the error message is generated by the HDhacker program. Again, though, if you watch the
dialog boxes during the clean install of the w98, one of them says something like "these options recommended only for system administrators"!.
TNX-kurt, &lt

Posted 6 years ago

kurt

Justin,
That is indeed the page; however, in the readme txt that comes with it, it plainly states that it shou work with 95-98, and
even mentions a system file not present in 98 which I obtained. Still did'nt work. Very strange. kurt,

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

I know for a fact that Windows 98 has no system of user privileges like Administrator and Limited. You always have full access to everything in Windows 98.
So an error of needing Administrator access on Windows 98 would mean a bug in the program as it would have to be generating the error message.
Also the "Options recommend only for system Administrators" doesn't have anything to do with Administrator privileges, it refers to people who's job it is to Administrate a computer and have a high level of knowledge about computers.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

I just looked at the HDHacker readme and saw "In Windows 95 and 98 this is the default -if you have signed in with a password (otherwise you must create an administrator account)".
It sounds like you need to add a password to your account for it to work. I'm not sure why that would be.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.