Admin rights to delete folder

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 4914 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hey Guys,

I was trying to delete a folder when a box popped up saying that i would need admin rights. My account is an admin account so i clicked continue. However, i can not seem to delete the folder. Any ideas?

OK, so i figured it out. I added myself and gave myself full control via the folder security. However, if my account is an admin account then why should i have to do this? Shouldn't i have full control on everything by default?

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I am Admin (single user computer). I have all Vista security disabled.
I've never had a problem deleting files and folders.
I do use FreeCommander, and sometimes TakeOwnership to do it tho'.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

InDiSent, to answer your last question: no, you should not have full control of everything by default. That's what the superuser or "root" account is for. Using the root account is a security risk and even a novice user can damage the OS with so much authority. Most virsuses and other malware will run at the same privilege level as the logged in user. If you are running as root, then the malware is running as root. The word "rootkit" comes from this -- only a root user should be able to install one.

Giving every user the equivalent of superuser access is one reason (of many) that Windows has been so vulnerable to infection. UAC in Vista was added to reduce this risk. From my understanding, the Mac OS, which is based on Unix, keeps the root account hidden from the system owner by default. That's one reason Macs are less vulnerable to infection. Finally, if you *really* know what you are doing, and accept the risks involved, you can make yourself a full-time, always-at-risk superuser as LH has done.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

@ScottW. VM, Sandboxie and Norton Ghost. "always-at-risk superuser" ?
Sometimes I dive in quick to check links. But , for me to get back my system back to normal is max. 25 mins!

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Agree with LH concerning a Single User Machine.

In XP and Win7, I run as the Built-in Administrator Account.

WARNING:
Doing above is not best practice policy according to many.
If one wants to run machine in pure Administrator Mode, one should have ALL important files Backed Up to secure media and also have ways to recover quickly (under 5 minutes) from malicious software machine attacks.
This is an individual decision each must evaluate for themselves.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

btk1w1

I concur with Scott.

Running your PC with administrator priveledges also allows any unauthorised scripting / coding to run in the same fashion (malware and intrusion trespassing). Using a limited user account by habit greatly reduces the risk of unauthorised user priveledges being exploited.

Scott... Are you a Linux fan?... SU & ROOT?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

LH, that just proves what I said, that you "*really* know what you are doing". Even if you are running an OS image in a VM, if that image is running with superuser authority then that image is always at risk of a root-level infection. That you can delete the damage and restore the OS image in minutes only means that you have mitigated the risk -- and quite effectively I'll admit.

In an ideal world, every single-user computer owner could have superuser access to their systems. But we live in a world full of malware that wants to infect our systems. LH, raphoenix,and I are geek types and our example should NOT be considered typical or approved for novices.

Posted 5 years ago

btk1w1

Hmmm...

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I always make my account an admin account. I use Norton Ghost and keep a "fresh" image of my machines on an external hdd. I'm not too worried about viruses and malware.......i run anti virus software and i don't install all kinds of crap.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

InDiSent, I will add your name to the list of geeks who really know what they are doing and can be responsible for running as a superuser at all times. :-)

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

lol

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@ScottW: As long as you are making a list, you may want to me too :)
I ran as superuser on Windows XP and I usually login to my server as root and leave the Window open all the time.
I mainly keep UAC on as it's I don't want to wait for a reinstall or a restore from an image to finish.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

JD, it goes without saying that you would be on the list along with The Geek and other forum regulars who have demonstrated their "techxpertise" by the nature of their postings. :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!