The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Add Play To to context menu for MKV

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by GTUKie
  • Latest reply from GTUKie
  • Topic Viewed 1650 times

GTUKie

Does anyone know how to add the option to Play To <DLNA TV> for files such as MKV?

I have successfully got .MKV files showing and playing correctly in Windows Media Player but the Play To menu option when right clicking the file is not available for .MKV files.
I would like to be able to add this option so the behaviour is the same as it is for .AVI files.

Posted 1 year ago

bobro
bobro

my boss and i where talking about this yesturday, is this not to do with if your TV can handle the format? he too uses mkv files but streams them through his PS3, I myself dont have a DLNA TV but the usb i use on my tv seems to only really like avi's so far... not tried mkv yet.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You must have a program installed that can play .mkv's. (like VLC)

Posted 1 year ago

GTUKie

@bobro the TV can play the .MKV but the menu option to Play To is not available

@Lighthouse I think you misunderstood the question, sorry if i explained it badly. I already have multiple programs that can play the file. I can play the file either locally or on the TV via DLNA.

The probelm I want to solve is this:
If I right click some media files the context menu shows a "Play To" option (this is also built into Windows Explorer ribbon in Windows 8) however for other media files the menu is missing from the context menu and greyed out on the ribbon.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.