SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Add Media Center to Windows 8 Release Preview for free!

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Fhirkin9
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 2484 times

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Thanks to PC World magazine for hooking us up with this killer trick. Just tested it and it works!!

Link to PC World article

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And just why would you be posting it here ?

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I thought it was proper for a forum such as this, my apologies.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Just asking was all.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Just remember this should not work when the Retail/RTM hits the shelves.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

Understood, but with competition heating up...maybe they will succumb to the clamor.....

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

OK, I am seeing a Pro Pack being offered for sale, which supposedly upgrades Win8 'Basic' to Pro and adds Media Center. Does this mean that FUll install Pro will include Media Center, the way Win7 Pro did?

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.pcworld.com/article.....rade_.html According to this. It is for the upgrade. Check the Newegg site for a full copy and see.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

That article is from July, and I believe some changes were made. If I bought a notebook with Win 8 (starter or basic, for lack of a better name) I could buy the pro pack to upgrade my machine to PRO with media center. So it stands to reason that a OEM PRO full install (or Upgrade to Win8 pro from XP, Vista or W7) will include Media Center. Then again, I will wait until I have the Product in my hand and see what it says. If you purchased an upgrade to the basic Win8 version and then find out you need to spend more for media center, you won't be happy. perhaps this is why all the $15 Pro upgrades were being promoted for recent Win7 machines. The only difference I can determine from the NewEgg site (even when using the Compare feature) is that the Pro Pack does not include the Upgrade media that is included in the PRO upgrade for the same $$$.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions Looks like WMC will be available on Pro full edition as a free add on.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

So, it will be a free add-on for PRO upgrades and PRO system builder installs "during the promotion", I think I have a handle on this now.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

OK, they are offering it free for PRO, but it took some work to find out how! From Metro screen, swipe mouse to the right of screen and then hit search, put the word "add" in the field and then to the left hit the category "Add Features to Windows 8". From there, Win8 can tell if you have PRO and it offers to email you a code within 24 hours if you provide a valid address. Here is the page I was at when the browser kicked in: I do not know if this will work by going directly to the URL. I am awaiting my free code.

MS link to add features

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I received my key via email within 24 hours, so grab this freebie while you can. Not sure how long the free promo is to be offered.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

I received an email that the deadline to activate this freebie is 1/31/2013. So if anyone requested a key and did not activate it, you better move fast! Then do a complete image backup.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I believe it runs through Jan 31. I got two of those complimentary upgrades to Media Center for my daughter's machine and mine. I just received an email reminder it must be activated by Jan 31.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!