How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

acer eRecovery not working

(15 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by evie
  • Latest reply from PUPPYDOG
  • Topic Viewed 8572 times

evie

Hi,
My acer 5920 with vista and i am having problems restoring to factory default. When i turn on the laptop, after the acer bio screen, it goes black with a flickering cursor at the left corner. i tried alt +f10 to restore to factory default but it always freezes at the same source - S5E0A592.052. Then i tried restoring from the disc and it worked for a while before it too froze at the same source. Please help! i have no idea what to do.

Posted 4 years ago

InterPC

Have you inquired with Acer about this problem? You may have a virus or a problem with the BIOS.

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

I tried everything to reset my acer laptop after getting a virus.
I was searching forums and found nothing to help.
I ended up making a mistake when hitting alt+f10 at start up.
I pressed Ctrl+f10 by mistake and it worked, i got the acer restore menu.
Give it a go and see what happens.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Shouldn't it be F-10 alone (no Alt or Ctrl)?

Posted 4 years ago

evie

I think it is alt+f10 for my laptop. i tried everthing else only that works -- even the f8 to safe mode didnt work. I can get into the eRecovery stage fine, but it is the process of restoring to factory default that seemed to be having a problem, it always stop at the exact source. and now after unsuccessfully trying several times to get the restore to work, i get a message: Smart failure predicted on hard disk 2: wdc wd2500bevs-22ust0-(s1)
Warning: immediately back-up your data and replace your hard drive. A failure may be imminent.
Press f1 to continue.

I have googled the meaning of this, and from what i read, i should do as it says... but none of them teaches me how to make a back up, which i really hope i can because i have important files in the D drive which shouldnt be affected by the system restore but i cant get into it because i cant even get the command prompt.

Posted 4 years ago

GKI610

Yep, the Hard Drive is failing, and you need to backup anything (pics, docs, music, data) you can't lose. Then you can reinstall with a bootable disc. It won't recover, and don't push it, as this is a clear warning of failure. Do you have disc(s) for it? Which version of Windows are you using?

Posted 4 years ago

evie

@InterPC my warranty has expired, but i have emailed them. They have not yet replied.

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

When i did mine i took the hard drive out and attached it to my other pc, i plugged mine into an external
usb dock. You could use an external enclosure that are cheap to buy, or there are other ways.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Hi evie, Can you get into safe mode or command prompt thru safe mode options? If so type chkdsk /f at the command prompt. If your hdd isn't totally shot you might be able to correct the error long enough to safely get all your data. You say it worked for a while after using your restore disk. Where you able to boot up into Vista? I agree with PUPPYDOG, but I you have to get a new hdd A.S.A.P. & Install it then you can use your restore disk to get you up and running again. The next is to get an external case to hold your old hdd.

g-x

Posted 4 years ago

evie

I am using vista. I burned the disc when i first got the laptop, and i tried using the disc but it stops midway through the reinstalling process. So i dont know if it has to do with the harddrive or there is a problem with the disc, or both. I have ran the recovery to factory default before and it used to work but not this time ... so maybe the HD is messed up and that why the disc is not working? ... Since the HD is failing, should i simply get a new harddrive and then try the disc on that or would that not work?

Thanks Puppydog, i will try that.:D

Posted 4 years ago

evie

hey germ-x. i dont think i can get into safe mode. when i boot up and press f8 nothing happens, and then it goes into the black screen with the blinking white cursor at the left corner. I cant boot into vista at all. the only time the vista loading bar appears is when i press alt+f10 to get into eRecovery. is there any other way apart from safemode for me to get into command prompt?

And when i use the restore disc, i mean i does try to restore to factory default, but it stops before it is even 30% completed. If there is no other way to get into command prompt, then i will just do what puppydog suggested. So with that SMART warning, does it mean that by replacing the HdD there is a possibility of working? or is there a possiblity of something being wrong with the motherboard or something? Dont know much about the inside of a computer so sorry if that is a silly question. :D

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

If you get a new hdd your disks should work once you format your new hdd. Unless you have made a more recent backup image you might lose everything since you made your original disks. Last hope is to try and run chkdsk /f if you can get a command prompt the chkdsk /f might save your data. If you go here and download the trial version of active boot disk you can burn it to a Cd then boot your computer up.

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

I have never tried but perhaps someone else may clear this up.
Can you use ubuntu on cd to load ubuntu OS and then browse the contents of the hard drive to back up?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

PUPPYDOG,
---
Is this what you want to do ??
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

PUPPYDOG

Yeah, thats what i was thinking, it is a bit more involved than i thought though.
Probably easier to remove the drive and attach it to another computer like i first
suggested.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.