The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

(Solved) - Acer Aspire X1200 "Reset Port Error"

(6 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Sundodger
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 3051 times

Sundodger

I picked this up used, minus the HDD. After replacing the HDD and attempting to install Windows, I found that both sata ports were non-operable.
I checked the drives and cables an a known working maching, and they checked out fine. I also reset the BIOS, but that didn't help. A superficial inspection
of the motherboard revealed no bulging capacitors or other signs of trouble. An intensive web search came up empty, and I'm out of ideas. Help!!
Thx-

Posted 2 years ago

whs

It is a bit strange that there are only 2 Sata ports. Must be an older board. What is the number/manufacturer of the board ??

Posted 2 years ago

Sundodger

As near as I can tell, it's a DAO78L Boxer. The BIOS is Phoenix. Earlier I said I re-set the BIOS. I meant CMOS.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

That is an older Acer AM2 socket board. And it looks indeed like it has only 2 Sata boards - although I could not find the detailed specs. Maybe the board's ports are dead. A replacement would cost between $35 and $50 depending from where you get it.

Posted 2 years ago

Sundodger

I considered, however unlikely it seemed, that both sata ports were bad, and wondered about the possible option of a PCIe sata card.
I've never had this come up before, so I don't know if that would work.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

The PCI-e card would give you an external connection. I guess you could run the wire into the box - if you find the right cable.

I have an external eSata port on my system which I use with a standard 3.5" bare bone HDD in an external enclosure. Works like an internal HDD - only a tad slower, but that could be the fault of the enclosure.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.