The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Acer Aspire touchpad buttons not working

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by oldgeezer
  • Latest reply from oldgeezer
  • Topic Viewed 17640 times

oldgeezer

Fairly new Acer aspire laptop, the touchpad buttons have both stopped working. The touchpad itself works and can still be enabled/disabled by using Fn and F7. Double-tapping the touchpad doesn't work either. An external mouse works with no problem and there are no problems shown in Device Manager. I can't find any settings to disable just the touchpad buttons so I'm assuming that it's a hardware fault but if anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully received.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

If it's fairly new it should still be under warranty, take it back to the store and let them fathom it out. Don't break your insurance on the product.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

You could try a static discharge. Power off your machine, unplug from AC, remove the battery, and press repeatedly the power button for 30 seconds. Press also the touchpad buttons and touch the surface with your open hand repeatedly during the process. Sounds strange but these kind of things work from time to time.

It could also be a problem with the driver, even with no notice in the Device Manager. Try to see if you can roll back to a previous driver, and check if you have disabled the touchpad application from the startup programs (Run msconfig.exe, then go to the startup tab). The name usually contains "Alps" or "Synaptic".

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Yes GuiltySpark, that was the next step, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious like a setting - very embarrassing to take an item back & they fix with a quick key press.

I'll have a go at the discharge thing Ruja. The laptop is only a couple of weeks old & I'm pretty certain there haven't been any hardware updates in that time, but I'll check the drivers anyway.

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Granny thought..you have not accidentally LOCKED the touch pad ( usually on the left of the on /off Button)
Just a thought Doh!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

No, there's no switch to the left of the on/off button - I saw that mentioned on some models of Acer as well but not this one.

I can get it working by reverting to the original Microsoft PS/2 driver, which at least shows it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, but as soon as I try using the Windows certified Elantech driver (I've tried 3 of them so far) then the buttons stop working.

Oh, and the battery removal/discharge option made no difference.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

I'm confused, are you saying you installed a touchpad specific driver over the generic one ?

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

No, it originally had the Elantech driver which came preinstalled dated Sept 2012, so I used the 'roll-back' feature and that installed the generic, Microsoft PS/2 driver (dated 2006), which worked. In the meantime I downloaded an earlier version (Aug 2012) of the Elantech driver package and another one from 2011, just out of interest, and the buttons still didn't work in either of those.

This isn't my laptop so I don't know what updates came with it when bought, but the Elantech package is listed in Programs and Features and has an installation date of November 2012.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

May as well stick with the Windows generic one then if that works.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

Yes, that's my thinking at the moment, but as it's a Windows 8 laptop I'm not too sure how much functionality it will lose that could be useful. Shall send a snotty email to Acer just for the hell of it.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.