How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Acer Aspire One Happy 2DQpp

(15 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by roland5575
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 2575 times

roland5575

Hi Everybody

I have an Acer Aspire One Happy 2DQpp NetBook that has a screen that goes all white with big black blobs when you turn on the laptop. I
presume the screen is shot, and from raking the net for info, it appears lots of people have this problem, very delicate piece of kit. Info online is very sparse, videos rarer still! No screws visible on the bezel, just two very flush caps on the bottom, one left and one right, i am afraid to go poking at these in case i scratch the area. Would anybody have you have
any experience with these? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
Billy

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

It could be a driver problem or some other software problem. Did you try to reset the system (system restore) to the time when it worked OK. And how does it act in Safe Mode.

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

As you said, a lot of people have had problems with the Acer Aspire Ones. If you can't find a software or settings fix, don't throw any money at it. Get rid of it and buy another brand.

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

HI Billy Welcome to HTG.
Sorry you having problems,do as whs suggests, this also solved another members problem with a different acer, so may help.

If not I found a forum dedicated to Acer aspire one,I have not used it, but am sure you may also find some help.
http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/
Good Luck.

Posted 3 years ago

roland5575

Hi

I cant see anything on the screen in order to access System Restore. The netbook cover was grabbed by a one year old child while somebody was using it and after that, when you boot up all you get is this white screen with several lines eminating from one corner of the screen, there are several big black blobs around these lines which look like cracks. I would be majorly surprised if the screen is not shot. It is really difficult to get any info on this model.

@Drizzle: i have posted on the forum you recommended as well.

It looks to me like the cover may have to come off in order to get at the screen, no screws or caps on the bezel except for two very flush round indentations on the bottom. Totally different to the Aspire One. I am at the end of my rope :-)

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

@Billy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-ACER.....0801091921

If you SCROLL down on this link they give instructions for screen removal.....

This LInk says you can download manual BUT it does NOT have a WOT rating so am not sure of its clean/safety
http://www.pdfuu.com/acer-aspi.....guide.html

Hope it helps

Granny Kate

Posted 3 years ago

roland5575

I checked out the Ebay page earlier, sadly it is not the same netbook, and i already downloaded the manual you linked it is just a users manual with no reference to screen replacement. My problem is that looking at the netbook, i cant tell if the screen bezel will come off without disassembling the machine. Normally you just unscrew the bezel, take it off and lift out the screen, but in this case i am not sure, and i dont want to go poking at it in case i scratch the screen area. I thought i would easily find a guide that would point me in the right direction but not so i'm afraid. Thanks Drizzle for your efforts i appreciate it.

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Ok..This is so annoying DOH!!!
another link for yooo.
http://acer.custhelp.com/app/c.....LT0tTVXdr, maybe,scroll around, back to home etc.....
http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx ...select your product......

Posted 3 years ago

roland5575

@Drizzle: thanks again for you efforts, but i think the gods have conspired to let me suffer on this occasion. I have registered with the Acer Aspire One forum and posted for help, not a single reply though. I also got onto Acer Customer Support and they refused to give me any help with a disassembly. Must be a big secret, needless to say they will never see a penny of mine in the future!!

So looks like i am going to have to just open the thing and see what happens. Many thanks for all the replies.

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Oh dear, what a shame, no help from anywhere,Do let us know how you get on,
before you doooooo.What one of our regulars, would suggest "throw it". she will know who I am talking about LOL!!!!!! As you guess, she loathes Acers!!!!!
Good luck.
Edit. Another worth a try http://www.theacerguy.com/forum/
Kate

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

After having two Acer Apire Ones die, a lackluster Acer keyboard, a useless Acer mouse, and an Acer desktop that has killed two harddrives and two memory sticks (I guess I was spoiled by my previous computer, a Gateway that lasted 7 years, including keyboard and mouse, without any trouble), and lealing with Acer's impossibly useless Indian tech help(less), you would loathe Acer too, Kate (actually, loathe is not an appropriate term; unfortunately, Mama told me not to use the appropriate ones). I've talked to several people who have had fatal problems with the Aspire Ones and have seen internet references saying they have a reputation for problems.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

And the real sad part is that Gateway is now part of Acer - and just as bad as far as support is concerned. They replaced their top teams in South Dakota and Utah with some helpless morons in (you know which country).

I bought a second Gateway laptop last year. I had a couple of simple questions and am still waiting for the answers.

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Even worse, before being absorbed by Acer, Gateway merged with e-Machines (noted for producing garbage disguised as computers) and shut down all their local stores/repair centers. The local repair centers was my primary reason for buying Gateway. Fortunately, I never needed one.

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

:) see new 'Q' in Geeks..."Most reliable"

@LF' loathe 'was the best all round description , my old grey matter would come up with,(in the nicest way LOL!)

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ Kate. To be honest, "loathe" is about as strong as I can come up with (without getting justifiably censored). Possible synonymns might include abominate, abhor, despise, and detest but loathe does have a slight edge over them. Fortunately, merely alluding to the "words Mama told me not to use" carries the intensity of emotion I feel without resorting to terminology that is rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.