SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Acer Aspire One 722 is not recongizing the Hard drive!!!

(34 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by slhughes
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 17012 times

slhughes

I have an acer aspire one 722 netbook with Windows 7; AMD Dual-Core Processor C60 with Turbo CORE Technology (AMD C-60 APU with Radeon HP Grapics); 2GB DDR3 Memory; and 250GB HDD. My little brother was using it and said something came up and he clicked the "X" and the netbook restarted itself. Now when it loads its said:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.6(09/28/10)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: DC 0E A1 51 F7 26 GUID: B9426ECA-2228-11E1-BBC3-DC0EA151F726
PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert book disk and press any key.

I restarted the computer and went into the BIOS menu and it read the HDD Name: WDC WD25OOBPVT-22JJ5T0.

I have never had a netbook before and unfortunately my little brother got to it before I even press the power button! I have it plugged up to the ethernet cord and get the same (above) message (with the client mac addr info).

Can someone help me please!!!!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Did you find the BIOS Boot Order? Check to make sure your LAN adapter has not been selected as the primary boot device. Make sure your HDD IS the 1st Boot device.

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

My HDD is the 1st Boot device, but there is no name beside HDD, and it keeps going to the screen I mentioned above.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

What are the rest of the items in the BOOT order. If the LAN device is there remove/disable it and see if you get something different.

Can you hit F12 (maybe F10/11) on the BIOS Splash screen to specifically select the boot device? Select the hard disk there.

PXE may be able to be disabled in the BIOS, too, you could look for that. PXE is to boot from the LAN device. Is this computer wired, or wireless.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

The PXE....is usually part of a recovery system, do you have any media that came with the machine ?

For example a USB with Acer drivers on it.

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

This is the boot order:

1. HDD0:
2. ATAPI CDROM
3. USB FDD:
4. Network Boot: Atheros Boot Agent
5. USB HDD:
6. USB CDROM:

Both I have it wired now. And Thank you in advance for your help!

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

No. It was a gift, and I never got a chance to look (play) with it. My brother just told me something came up and he clicked the "x" and it restarted itself. And now keep posting the same message over and over now.

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

Also now in the BIOS menu under Information the HDD Model Name shows "None"

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Has the machine been knocked at all ?

It could be a simple case of re-seating the HDD.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Did it ever actually boot into windows? Was it new or used. If used perhaps someone wiped the system before giving it to you.

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

Used. Knocked no. That is what I was assuming the system has been wiped. Is there a way to fix it?

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

Okay i took the battery out and placed it back in and it is recognizing the hard drive now, but its still going to that message

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

Restarted now no hard drive, this is becoming frustrating, and just think I thought I knew about computers :(

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

My brother said he was on Windows using it so yes it booted windows

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Okay. Did you get any disks with it? Check the bottom for a sticker that has the Windows Product Key and will tell you what version of windows it applies to. Then we will need an install disk for that version.

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

Nope, and there is no CDRom... it has a Windows 7 Product Key and I do not have an external CD/DVD drive

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

If you're tech savvy you could try removing the HDD and then carefully re - seating it. You may have a loose connection.

Make sure everything is Unplugged and the Battery is Removed.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

You will have to download the appropriate Windows 7 .iso and make a Bootable Thumb drive. It needs to be at least 4GB. You can do that on another computer and use ImgBurn to make the bootable Thumb drive. Then boot from it and load your C: drive.
After the system is loaded and booted it would not hurt to run this FIXIT

Posted 2 years ago

slhughes

Okay I do not know which version of Windows 7 Home Prem to download English x86 or x64? How can I tell?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Here are some models. Is yours among them. If it says 64-bit then that else x86.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!