The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - acer aspire laptop 3680 hard drive FAILURE

(20 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pumpkinman
  • Latest reply from pumpkinman
  • Topic Viewed 12375 times

pumpkinman

Not sure what happened but i was using the laptop shut it down and the next day when i fired it up the splash screen came up said ACER THEN PRESS F2 TO ENTER SET UP..well it wont do anything only in set up .i get an error - PXE- E61-media test faliure--PXE-MBF--EXITING PXE ROM --OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND..THE HARD DRIVE DOES NOT SEEM TO MAKE ANY SOUND IVE PULLED THE COVER OFF AND FIRED IT UP BUT NO SOUND FROM HARD DRIVE.SO IM TAKING THAT THE HARD DRIVE HAS FAILED..I WAS TOLD MAYBE THE MOTHER BOARD HAS FAILED..BUT I CAN RUN THE CD-DVD PLAYER AND RUN A LIVE UBUNTU CD..SORRY BOUT THE CAPS MY BUTTON STUCK..SORRY..SO IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF THE HARD DRIVE HAS FAILED..I HAVE AN ACER ASPIRE 5315 I THINK HAS THE SAME HARD DRIVE AS THE ACER 3680 CAN I PUT THAT IN MY 5315 TO TEST IT OR NOT POSSIBLE..IS IT POSSIBLE TO REPAIR A HARD DRIVE OR NOT..IS IT MY MOTHER BOARD..OR MORE LIKE HARD DRIVE FAILURE..IM JUST NOT SURE WHERE TO GO FROM HERE.. I HAVE RECOVERY CDS.I PLACE THE FIRST ONE IN IT READS IT TO ROM.ASK FOR SECOND CD AND IT STATES CD ERROR READING.SO I TAKE IT THE HARD DRIE CANNOT READ OR INSTALL IT ..IT FAILS TO RUN..ANY IDEAS SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED STEVE

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Please no 'all caps'.

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

said sorry caps stuck....doesnt mean im hollering.. if thats a problem ill go else where

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

pumpkinman, the "PXE" message means that the system is trying to boot from the network. Go into the BIOS / setup menu and remove network from the boot sequence. Make sure that your hard drive with Windows is in the boot sequence.

Does the BIOS recognize your hard drive? Can you see the hard drive when you boot from the Ubuntu CD?

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

Thanks.. no i just booted it up in bios it says hd 0: not hatachie like it should say..so i guess it does not recognise it? the ubuntu live cd goes so fast when booting i cannot tell if it recognised the drive.i fixed the boot order as u said and all that comes up now is no operating system...the ubuntu live cd seems to work fine on the system..everything works ..i havent connected to the net with it but everything works on the cd ,in the bad acer..I dont here anything from the hard drive ,no sound at all when i boot it up..its my daughters she said she was using it night before shut it down and when turning it on ,well here we are..im thinking she fried the hard drive..but im not sure how to see or check to know..thanks so much.steve

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Steve, it sounds bad alright. There are a lot of places where the problem could lie. Of course, the drive might be bad in some way. One intriguing observation is that you don't hear the drive running. That could mean it's not getting power, so it could be a power supply problem. Try switching in a different power cable, if there is another inside the box.

Even if the motherboard is bad, I would expect the drive to spin up. To test this theory, unplug the *data* cable from the drive and leave the power cable plugged in. When the system gets power, the drive should get power and spin up.

The next procedure to try would be moving it to another system. First connect the power cable and see if it spins up. Then connect the signal cable and see if it's recognized. Keep in mind that it's unlikely to damage a system it is put in, but it's still possible. Be sure to account for this worst case scenario when diagnosing the drive.

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

Scott.thanks..but all your suggestions i cannot do.its a laptop and there is no cables acer 3680 aspire. i have an acer 5315 drive looks the same but the connector is different then in the 3680..so i dont think i could switch it to try it..is there a possible way to make a power cable to try to run the drive on a desk top to see if itll fire up..its only a year old and really dont want to junk it..ive seen on youtune people running a hard drive with one cable running to it to give it power to spin..but they dont show how or where the cable is from....i appreciate your help steve

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oops, missed the laptop part. I expect those folks who are running a cable to a bare drive are running it from a desktop or from the power supply for a desktop.

Is there any data on the drive that you need? Do you have a recent backup?

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

lol thats ok..yes there is data i need . i do have back ups but cannot access them..i also have the restore cds.but the first loads into rom ask for second cd and read cd error comes up on 2nd cd....so i take it the hard drive cannot read or install it.....it confuses me because everything will work with a live linex cd..i guess i need a way to test the hard drive to see if it spins or is dead if it spins id think power supply bad on laptop.or something..if i knew the pins that were just the power supply i could make a cable to run to a desk top just to see if it works or not..any ideas..thanks alot steve

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Steve, if the drive were working, the recovery CDs would re-install the OS and probably wipe out any stored data. So, that's not a good way to get your data off of the drive unless I'm missing something.

I think that you will need to take the drive to a desktop system where it can be installed directly. If you don't have access to one, then it should be taken to a repair shop of some kind. It's possible that the system maker or hard drive manufacturer may repair or replace the drive and recover your data *if* the system and hard drive are under warranty.

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

scott i was just trying to see if the disk would install..at this point i dont care about the data....i have alot of it on my machine.i just want to get her going..so thats why i tried the disk..i do have a desk top i could try it on but is there a special cable i have to have or make....cause im sure the plug in it are different.....then on laptop.. Thanks have a great day steve

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Hey pumpkinman,

I think there is a case thats made (I can't recall the standard name) that allows you to mount a laptop hard drive and then plug the case into the USB port on your desktop and check it. Check NewEgg or Western Digital. I think one of those was where I saw it.

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

hi, well i think maybe it is my hard drive..i opened it up tonight.to take a look and didnt i drop the drive.!! well i figured done for sure...as it is..but when i replaced it back into the bay and booted the drive spun making noise ,i went into bios and it showed.but i rebooted and now it doesnt show the hard drive again..so there is power to the drive..so i guess ill try a new drive when i can afford one..i guess dropping it made it work for a bit. it now spins but with much noise....but doesnt show..steve

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Bobjam - I have seen those on Amazon too

Pumpkinman - I presume you were out of warranty? Now you have opened the machine up, most manufacturers kick up a fuss about warranty when this happens - so it could now be void, if you were still under it?

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

no no warranty.or i would have sent it in....so im not worried bout that..lol ..acer doesnt help anyone anyway there terrible when it comes to that..ive been waiting for a reply email from them for over a month..lol..i wont buy acers anymore..ill stick to a dell..lol steve

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

My Acer's doing fine!
My hard drive failed about 6 months ago, they picked it up no problem, and sent it back after a week!
However, it is in warranty :/
All the horror stories you read online about Acer's appalling service repairs-wise are very outdated though. I can vouch for that =)

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

well my acer 5315 works great and is almost 2 yrs old..but the lower end laptops are just that. i personally have not had good experiences with acer and there support.. Basically i see them as if no warranty no help...i had a dell xps for 6 years and dell would help even though i had no warranty..they always replied to emails .unlike acer..they are fairly new but need some improvement.. steve

Posted 5 years ago

fja45

I have an acer 3680 and what was happing to me was my hhd was filling up the more I would remove the more It would keep filling up. It got to the point I had to buy a new hhd. Is there anyone that could tell me what would cause that. I have just got on this forum. Thank you very much

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Welcome fja45, kindly start your own thread.

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

got a new 160 GB segate hardrive for 50.00 still in bag.lol installed formatted and wow what a different computer from 80 GB...Had my reinstall cds i made and everything went fine..thanks all very much i appreciate all your help..peace...steve [SOLVED]

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.