SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Accidently set my storage drive (internal) as an active partition.

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by DesertFox89
  • Latest reply from DesertFox89
  • Topic Viewed 496 times

DesertFox89

I have a total of three drives I am currently using. My OS Drive (C:) currently is set under disk management as (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition). My second Drive (L:) is for use with my Weekly Backups and I wanted to change the drive letter to W. Instead I accidently clicked to change the partition to Active. Furthermore, because my drive was maxed out with space, I just finished reformatting it to start over so now I have no backups. Is my setting it to active going to cause my OS not to boot if I restart since it is not on that drive? Do I need to go into cmd and deactivate it? Please help...

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

If you ACTUALLY HAVE (3) HDDs, they all can be Active.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

DesertFox89 hi, easiest way is to boot up up with the free iso from here, and do it that way.
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html

Posted 2 years ago

DesertFox89

Thank you for your responses. Just to clarify once more... my C: drive has my OS on it. System reserve is set to (System, Active, Primary Partition). The rest of drive C: is set as (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partion) - Active is not set on that and that worries me.

Drive L:, which is currently reformatted and has nothing on it is set as (Active, Primary Partition.
And drive M:, though I doubt it important is set as (Primary Partition) only. Before I clicked said button to make it active, L: was also (Primary Partition) only. If I were to do a restart now, would it still boot to my C: drive with no problems even though it does not say Active and my empty storage drive does?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Sounds like the Reserve Partition has Boot Manager on it which points to the C: System Partition which is OK.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

DesertFox89

So, even though my new storage drive is set to active, it will boot like normal because System Reserve is Active which points to C: which has boot?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Yes that is the way I interpreted your description of how your machine is setup.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

It will boot to the C: drive as long as the BIOS is set to boot from that drive.

Posted 2 years ago

DesertFox89

Alright, Thank you guys. I will do a reboot here soon, and if all is well, will close this thread.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.