How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Accidentally installed windows 7 on 2 drives

(26 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lukycharms621
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2822 times

germ-x
germ-x

Partition wizard is in a Windows GUI format so it makes it a lot easier to understand. Once you format and if you want you can also partition your HDD all at once. You are then completed and do not have to use any other utility.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It gets no simpler than this:

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot,
your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc.

1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc,
and then shut down your computer.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4. On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click (Custom).

7. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (Advanced).

8. Click the Partition that you want to change, click the Formatting Option you want to perform,
and then follow the instructions.

9. When you've finished formatting, click Next.

10. Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer
and setting up the first user account.

Copied from MS and made simpler.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

@Rick,
This has been a sore topic for many moons and countless posts for help. If you allow Windows install disk to do the formatting and partitioning you will end up with the 100mb partition which eventually leads many to have that "Missing Boot Mgr error".
With the OP having the O/S installed on 2 drives it might be best to work outside windows environment. That is accomplished with Partition wizard not to mention several other bootable partition utilities

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Tom,

I know but OP really has only a (1) HDD machine with the Boot Manager messed up.

See this picture in the OP's first posting on this topic thread.
http://imageshack.us/f/266/83187605.png/

Since OP has low knowledge of Windows, best to get system installed even with the 100MB partition which I despise as much as you.

NO reflection on OP as many have never installed Windows before.

Would be useless for me to try to walk through BCDEDIT or Diskpart Commands to fix the the machine.

Best to do just a MS Install until OP understands Windows better.

What do you think ??

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Seeing that I can't see any "C" drive I would agree the OP has to start from scratch. I don't understand how Windows installed 2x on the same partition of the same drive.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Have to understand the entries in the boot manager.

MS Technet does a poor job of explaining the subject, best to get books. :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.