The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

accessing an encrypted hard drive externally

(2 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by YoungTechspert
  • Latest reply from oldgeezer
  • Topic Viewed 359 times

YoungTechspert

Hey guys I'm a young aspiring technician found how to geek a while and decided to to become a member to increase my knowledge as well as skills. Anyways my encrypted his two months ago and run into a problem where the his machine is dead, however the data on the drive are really important which we would like to access. when his computer boots up after the bois we put in a password so the os can be access to startup windows. The unfortunate thing is that we don't have another computer similar to his(don't know if that would a help) we thought by hooking it up externally we would be able to accessing it by using the password but we can't see it but only in disk manager where its showing a us an empty drive and needs initializing. We need help on this and anything would be good, thanks guys.

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

To verify there is at least something on the drive try viewing the contents from within Linux, either on an installed system or by using a Live Linux disk (most distros have them, or if you look for Kaspersky Rescue disk that's based on Linux as well).

What software was used to encrypt it? With some decent encryption systems if you haven't got the password then you have very little hope of recovering anything.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.