The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Access the Internet

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by boman
  • Latest reply from boman
  • Topic Viewed 600 times

boman

Had Google Chrome as browser. Recd a message from google that my email was hacked and I should be changing my password
I did so but had a whole lot of trouble logging in. Google said I should create a new profile as a default. I did that and followed their instructions
However, I deleted the original default (dumb move I suppose) and deleted Chrome altogether to re-install and start anew. Wrong move.. Now I cannot

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi boman ,

What did the email say exactly ?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Why does one Log in to the Internet? I just start a browser and poof the Internet comes up. No Login required. What do you mean by Login to the Internet?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

From another machine, log into your gmail account and change the password again.

As GS said above, what did the Email actually say?

Try a system restore prior to the problem.

I am assuming you are using webmail as opposed to a client like outlook or thunderbird?

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

boman

I tried a system restore but could not go back to prior date. Bold date was only yesterday and can't go back further. Tried doing a Restore manually. Put in new date but never takes. Tried 4x nothing.

Posted 1 year ago

boman

The email said google prevented a login from their end (server) I'm sure my default setting is screwed up but can't get to Internet to re-install Chrome or IE for that matter.

I shut down ea night and log in next AM. That's why one click doesn't do it.

Posted 1 year ago

boman

Mike

I use gmail & hotmail.

Posted 1 year ago

boman

If someone knows how to use System Restore without only one date in bold. As I said, cannot go back more than one day!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

The fact that you can or can not get to your GMail would have nothing to do with downloading and installing either IE or Chrome. Also as far as I know Google does not send out email messages about their login process. Sounds like a scam. Did you click any links in that e-mail?

Posted 1 year ago

boman

I did not click on anything in the email. I need to do a system restore but no one has resounded re the prob of not being able to go back more than one day!

Posted 1 year ago

boman

Calendar comes up but bold dates are only one day not one week or one month, etc

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you do not have the restore points you simply do not have them. Have you gone back a month or two?

Posted 1 year ago

boman

I can't even go back one day! I tried manually, I enter a date, 2 weeks back.. It gives me the date I entered but the current date remains. The date doesn't change. Frustrating

Posted 1 year ago

boman

How can I copy Firefox or IE to a Thumb drive and put on troubled PC and work from there. Is that possible?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes,
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/down.....-801-final

Posted 1 year ago

darkwire

Theirs a harder way of getting around this but it would be too long to explain. Try re-installing IE from the 'Turning Windows Features On or Off' in control panels Program category. I assumed it wasn't Google who suggest that you should create a new profile, it was a scam.

Posted 1 year ago

boman

I think I tried everything. Looked at system restore in safe mode..still no "bold" dates to return to. Somehow every time I try to log in at google the error message always says "clear DNS cache" I go to the command prompt, type in ipconfig /flush DNS and I get an "incorrect type does not apply"
Retyped ISP #, gateway # etc in network connection box..nothing.
I do thank all who responded to this dilemma. I'll continue searching but thanks again to all out there.. Much appreciated .

Bob

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.