The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Access database .MDB with Windows 7

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by RJM2096
  • Latest reply from RJM2096
  • Topic Viewed 5482 times

RJM2096

It seems that VB programs that I have written with ACCESS databases really act strange in Windows 7. For instance, I cannot copy a Access database MDB file and expect to get any data with it unless it seems to be a good day. Backups are a bitch. Nor can I copy a MDB file back in from a Flash Drive. On top of that, different users do not be able to share the same database, they get their own version of the same file in the same disk location. What am I doing wrong? What 20 settings and/or registry entries do I need to modify?

Posted 4 years ago

whs
whs

It may be a Win7 Library problem. Try to define a seperate library and folders for those files. At the beginning, I was disoriented too.

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

RJM2096

I might add that sharing any files on the new Windows systems can be difficult. We found that on a server anything in the Program Files folder could only be shared with one workstation. We had to create a new folder at root level to get it to share and the guest account had to be enabled with adequated permissions/authorities. What really bugs me is that Windows allows you to create a shared folder, it just does not work and does not tell you that the share is meaning less. I am proof that programmers are clueless about administation issues.

Edit by mod. Kindly refrain from stupidity on the main forums.

Posted 4 years ago

RJM2096

Finally I found the answer. Vista assumes that some files need protection and that the user is the only one to make a change, so it makes a copy under their document folder to keep the changes. If you need to copy the file you need to use Windows Explorer and click on the file your are trying to find. If it has a virtual copy a Compatability File button will appear. Push the Compatability File button for the highed file and the location of the virtual file will show in the address bar.

Location of UAC Virtualized Files

Virtualization is a great feature for allowing legacy applications to work under Vista without requiring explicit user permission, but can cause a problem for applications that actually require the ability to write to directories protected through virtualization. For example, an organization may have a utility application that can go through Program Files, find any .NET configuration file with a database connection string, and allow the user to change the connection string to a new value. A tool like this obviously needs to write to files in the real Program Files directory.

Link to an excellent article

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!