The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Access 97 and Office 2007 Student & Home

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by BirdMan
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 2573 times

BirdMan

Hi. Hope someone can help here. I am running Office 2007 Home and Student edition. I also have a legal copy of Office 97 (not installed). I would like to install the Access 97 component, but understand that it may conflict with Office 2007. Is there any problem when trying to install Access 97 ?
I only have a couple of small Access databases, so it is not worth purchasing a more advanced version of Office 2007, if I can use Access 97.

Windows XP (SP3)
Any help would be appreciated and thanks for your time.

Tony

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-48.html
Read link also to access 2007 included.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

You should be able to install and use Access 97 with Office 2007 already installed.
Microsoft Office is designed to let you install and use different versions at the same time.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jd2066,
Trying to learn something here.
I do not have Office 2007, however are you saying the MS ACE Engine is (Backward Compatible) will (ALL) MS JET and MS MDAC Versions ????
If so, why install Access 97, 2000, Etc. at all if Office 2007 will handle everything.

All older Access versions had (incapabilities) which had to have patches to run certain commercially developed programs such as business inventory control systems, industrial maintenance programs, etc., etc. ????
Thanks,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@raphoenix:
> "I do not have Office 2007, however are you saying the MS ACE Engine is (Backward Compatible) will (ALL) MS JET and MS MDAC Versions ????
If so, why install Access 97, 2000, Etc. at all if Office 2007 will handle everything."
I'm not saying that. I have no idea about engine compatibily but it doesn't matter because the Home and Student 2007 edition of Office doesn't include Access 2007. That is why the topic op wants to install Access 97 as getting Access 2007 seperatly would be a few hundred dollars.
> "All older Access versions had (incapabilities) which had to have patches to run certain commercially developed programs such as business inventory control systems, industrial maintenance programs, etc., etc. ????"
This doesn't matter as the topic op doesn't want run those types of databases.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@jd2066,
Thanks for the reply as I know you are busy.
Access versions and MDAC/JET component history is long and complicated.
I won't belabor the question as I don't have Access 2007.
Was just trying to get a feel for how the older version files would work in Office 2007.
Again Thanks, :)
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@raphoenix: The way that would work is all the shared components like MDAC and JET used by Access would also have the right version installed for Access 97 and the right version installed for Access 2007 as like Office programs multiple shared components (Like MDAC and JET) versions can be installed too.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!