The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

A test

(68 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Lighthouse
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 2367 times

Lighthouse

Something I remember very well from my fire training. (in the UK)

What colours of extinguisher contain different contents.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

All of them :)

Posted 2 years ago

CompWiz

Aren't they all red?

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16

Nope :) There are types for Electrical fires, Paper fires etc, which use water or foam or powder. We had three different types in our workshop. All different colours. Wont give game away :)

Ted

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

You is all wrong so far.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Green and Black.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

no

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

A real one and a Joke one.

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16

Red had water,, Green had foam, and Blue I think and Black was Carbon Dioxide As far as I remember. Never had to use one in all my working life but they had to be serviced every year and documented.

Ted

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

wrong again

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16

Can we distinguisher what you are asking then LOL

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Exactly what I posted. I will tell you, that every member of the class (all well trained in fire fighting) got it wrong. And we had to retrain every 3 years, but this one threw a wobbly at us.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Class A Extinguishers
Fire extinguishers in the Class A category have a green symbol on the front of the canister with a picture of a burning garbage can. These extinguishers are used on ordinary combustibles, such as wood or paper, and typically contain plain water.

Class B Extinguishers
Class B fire extinguishers have a red square as their symbol containing a picture of a gasoline can with a burning puddle inside. These are used for flammable liquids such as gasoline or oil. They typically have carbon dioxide or foam inside.

Class C Extinguishers
Class C is used for energized electrical equipment that has caught fire, such as a fuse box or an outlet. These have a blue circle with a picture of an electric plug and a burning outlet as their symbol. They typically contain a dry chemical to put out these fires.

Class D Extinguishers
Class D extinguishers are usually only found in laboratories. They are for use on chemicals that have caught fire, such as magnesium or titanium. The symbol for this class is a yellow star that contains no added picture.

Read more: Why Are the Fire Extinguishers Different Colors? | eHow.com
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7843.....z27VkAC0TJ

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

wrong

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Colour Coding

Prior to 1st Jan 1997, the code of practice for fire extinguishers in the UK was BS 5423, which advised the colour coding of fire extinguishers as follows:

Water - Red

Foam - Cream

Dry Powder - Blue

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) - Black

Halon - Green (now 'illegal' except for a few exceptions such as the Police, Armed Services and Aircraft).

New extinguishers should conform to BS EN 3, which requires that the entire body of the extinguisher be coloured red. A zone of colour of up to 5% of the external area can be used to identify the contents using the old colour coding shown above.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

wrong
It is so obscure you would not believe.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

solid colors?

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark

Green and Red = Full and Empty.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Nope.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.