The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

A problem with the setup of Windows xp?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Thebeholder
  • Latest reply from Thebeholder
  • Topic Viewed 1316 times

Thebeholder

While trying installing new version of Windows XP (SP2 or SP3) from a CD of Windows, I have faced this error whose screenshot is shown below. I have previous Windows xp SP2 installed on my desktop computer; however, it has been corrupted.(whenever I run my computer, I see that Windows doesn't boot and instead of that I see that there is a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner.
So I had to reinstall another similar version of Windows. However, when I have booted from the CD, I found that all the files needed in the process of installation have been copied to the memory. However, when I reached to step in which says: 'Setup is starting Windows", I saw that the problem whose screenshot is below shows me. In a very few other times, I can reach to the screen offering the following three options: Set up Windows XP, Repair a Windows XP installation, or Quit Setup. Press ENTER to select the first option.". However, this window lasts a moment(about two second) and then the Window saying 'a problem has been detected and Windows shut down your computer.....' shows me.

I didn't add any new devices at all.

The specifications of my desktop computer are:
CPU: 1GHZ
RAM:256
HAD:80GB
VGA(Graphic adapter):256MB

Also, I would only like to know whether I would face this error or not. I have tried doing this with a laptop of mine on which Windows 7 is installed and works properly. I found the same error, although the secifications of my laptop are:
The optical drive working very well with me.
CPU i5-2.6 GHZ
RAM: 6 GB
HAD:700GB
VGA(Graphic adapter): 6GB
Besides, even when I have tried opening the cd via Windows 7 installed instead of booting from CD, I found that the option 'install windows xp' is not active.
I Run the Memory Diagnostics Tool, but I didn't find any errors. Should I unistall the windows 7 beofre installing windows xp?

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Could anyone please reply me because this error keep showing me even with another installation cd of windows xp

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Install it on your Windows 7 machine with VMware Player. Here is how (same for XP, just select XP in lieu of /8)

Posted 1 year ago

Colshy
Colshy

Also it might be worth checking (esp. on your newer machine) that AHCI isn't selected in BIOS for your hard disk interface. XP used (I think IDE?) or what may now be referred to as "Legacy".

Trying to install XP on a laptop with AHCI selected will usually give you a BSOD. Have a look and post back :)

Col

{EDIT} You also can't install XP from inside Windows 7, you'll need to boot from the CD.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thank you all of you very much indeed for your very intense keenness for replying me.
-----
@{EDIT} You also can't install XP from inside Windows 7, you'll need to boot from the CD.@

I have already tried booting from CD in my laptop on which Windows 7 is installed. However, I found the same error whose screenshot is the second one in my last post.
I don't think that there is a problem with the internal hard disk which is mounted. Because I didn't see any problem with the windows 7 installed on the internal hard disk.

Should I have to change anything in the BIOS of my laptop, in particular for the setting of hard disk before proceeding to install windows XP on my laptop. Because I have heard that that I should change fro the SATA to another setting.

@Trying to install XP on a laptop with AHCI selected will usually give you a BSOD. Have a look and post back :)@

I am not sure that I have understood what you meant with the above answer. However, could you please let me know whether there are more than option to set up the settings of the hard disk in the BIOS. In other words, Is there option which should be set up in the BIOS in order for laptop's hard disk or even desktop's accepts Windows xp to be installed.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

@AHCI isn't selected in BIOS for your hard disk interface. XP used (I think IDE?) or what may now be referred to as "Legacy".@

Could anyone at thisplendided forum please take some time out of their precious time to reply me?

I've already checked my laptop's BIOS along with the BIOS of desktopstop computers of mine; however, I didn't find any optionstion I can make 'hard disk' to be set to IDE, instead of AHCI.

The BIOS of desktop computer only has these tap optioAdvanceddvacned,containsconains of:
IDE configuration
onBoard IDE controller(Both, disabled, primary, secondary) (The first one(both) is chosen)
-> primary IDE Master(HDD)
->primary IDE slave(not detected)
-> Secondary IDE CD-ROMr(ATPI CDROM)
->Secondary IDE salve(NOT detected)
->SATA 1(not detected)
->SATA1(not detectedCONTAINSOT: ONLY CONATINS OPTPRIORITYated to PRIEROTY OF BOOT DEVICES

(3)SECURITY: only about setting passwords

(4)(MAIN): only

Besides the BIOS of laptop computre also has these :
(1)Main: I can only change the system date and time here

(2)security: I can set a password of admin
(3) Diginostics: I can test memory and HDD
(4) system configurations: contains:
POST HOTKEY DELAY(SEC)(0,5,10,15,20)

SO, I didn't see that there is option via which I can make 'hard disk' be set to IDE, instead of AHCI.

The Reversion of my Laptop BIOS is [REV 3.5] Intsyde H20 setupUtility

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!