How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

A problem with booting from a CD ROM:

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Thebeholder
  • Latest reply from Kelen
  • Topic Viewed 517 times

Thebeholder

Hi everybody,

I have two optical drives, one is CD ROM and the other is DVD/CD ROM.

The first is slave, and the other is primary. Those two drives installed on the primary IDE. And the the hard disk is installed on the secondary IDE.
My problem is when I have booted by using a boot CD from the DVD/CD ROM, I found that CD booted. However, when I have tried booting from CD ROM, I found that CD didn't boot at all.
Also, I have entered to BIOS and check up that both are installed.

If CD ROM were broken down, then why when I reach to Windows and then open the drive. Then, put a CD in it, I found that cd opens in both

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

In the BIOS there will be a separate line in the boot order for each bootable device. Make sure the correct one is at the top for the CD Drive.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

If your mobo BIOS just has a CD /DVd listed then it's possible your Cd /DVD is your primary and if no CD /DVd is found then you go directly to your HDD.
If your BIOS doesn't show both devices then try switching the primary and secondary device to see if that works

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

My logical mind takes over. If you can boot both DVDs and CDs from the DVD Drive and you can only boot one thing at a time what difference does it make if you can or can not boot from the CD Drive??

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thank so much indeed,
But if I have CD drive set up on slave
And DVD/CD drive set up on primary
Both of them are connected to the primary IDE1
Also, hard disk is connected to IDE2

So, if I have sequenced the priority booting of the devices to be as follows:

Firts device: DVD/CD
second: CD
Third: hard disk

So, if there is a boot cd in the DVD/cd, it should boot from it
if the cd in the CD drive, it should also boot from it
What I have seen is the cd only boots when it is in the DVD/CD, but if the cd inside the CD drive, it didn't boot

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

...and this concerns you, why?

Do you have the jumpers on the drives set appropriately for master and slave?

Why are the disk drives not on IDE 1 as is customary with optical drives on IDE 2?

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

I think that jumpers are installed properly
when I reverted to hard disk is connected to IDE1, optical drives to IDE2, I saw that BIOS didn't save the new changes and still keep with last settings whatever I changed

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

In BIOS setup, make sure IDE Channels are set to Auto (automatically detect) and save changes on exit.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

In BIOS setup, make sure IDE Channels are set to Auto (automatically detect) and save changes on exit

Thank you so much

I think they are set to Auto.
Do you think that the problem with BIOS because when I connect the hard disk to IDE1 and CDROM to the IDE2, and then save the changes, I found out that when I open the BIOS again, I didn't that the previous settings are still saved. Howver, I saw that the BIOS still keep saving the last settings(HDD connected to IDE2 and CDROM to IDE1)

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

That is strange. Maybe you can try to clear CMOS (read the manual on how to do this on your system). Make sure to set the BIOS to "Optimal configuration"or "setup default" after the CMOS is cleared and save changes. If this does not work, if your up to it, you can flash the BIOS with an updated one from the manufacturer's site or re-flash it if the version is up-to-date.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

How old is the machine, I have installed dvd-rom into older machines and dvd's could not be booted.

Posted 1 year ago

Thebeholder

Thanks a lot
On of my desktop comuter is about 10 years old.
The other is 5 years.

My problem is really with facing the blue screen whenever I have tried installing a Windows xp(SP2/SP3) on my newly laptop, my two old desktop computers

Which is here

Could you please have a look at the above link?

So I think that this problem, which is the BIOS doesn't save the new settings, is related to that problem

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Run Hard Drive Diagnostics. Your BSOD says page fault in non paged area. 0x50 is often bad sector.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!