The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

A PM Feature?

(41 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by alvasrawuther
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 1288 times

alvasrawuther

Almost all forums on the internet have it, so why not have it here too? But please don't change the current forum system - it's just so good and simple.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Cos we don't like you talking behind our backs :)
We will gladly pass on email addresses, as long as both members are in agreement.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You asked for simple - you get simple. There are some advantages to it. But you get a different 'customer set' than with the big forums.

Five years ago we had a big discussion with the Geek on the layout of the forum. At this time it was decided to keep it simple because on other forums people are often scared away by the sheer complexity of the forum navigation.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

whs, you are absolutely correct.
HTG forum layout is excellent and the navigation straightforward.
The needless orientation on most forums are quite difficult to navigate, plagued with advertising, click here for kudos, click here for a 'free system scan'.....the list is really endless.

We did have a PM system here but it was underused.

I think the 'customer set' here is best left as it is.

If you want to contact another member on a personal basis, contact one of the mods. We can get you connected if the other party agrees.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Mike, I have been on this forum practically since day1 and long before most of you guys (except LH and Scott). I know the whole history. But the world is evolving and a few creature features would be nice to have. On my short list would be easy quote boxes, bolding of text to make commands stand out and a facility to directly upload pictures to the HTG server (a lot of people scare away when you ask them to e.g. post a picture of Disk Management).

Btw - on the good forums you are not being plagued with advertising if you are a member - only non-members see those.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. While I agree that being able to upload pictures directly to HTG would be nice, the amount of additional storage that would be needed would be expensive (and I'm sure this site isn't rolling in loot). That is why most forums use links to photos stored on other sites, such as photo sharing sites.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

LF, how right you are.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

This is the easiest to navigate and read forum I have ever looked at. There is a multitude of information and it is easily found. The other forums combine the OP question with each of the the answers, have coloring and gingerbread that are not needed. Direct upload of pictures would be nice. But the clutter on the other sites is not found here. So, if you have to use Dropbox so what? It is explained how to use it in tutorials and it is so far free. Just my two pence worth.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

There is always an excuse for everything. And it is not so obvious for the uninitiated to establish an account at Photobucket, upload the pictures and find the IMG code.

I used to provide a lot of pictures with my postings because that usually explained it a lot better than a million words. But now my Photobucket is overflowing and they want me to go pro. And at Image Shack I have to logon every time because they don't seem to keep the logon. So instead of inconveniencing myself I just don't post a lot of times.

And don't tell me that quote boxes and bolding costs any money. As I said, it's a bunch of excuses.

LF :" I'm sure this site isn't rolling in loot "" -- I think you are dead wrong.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ok, the duel is on. LH vs. whs. Who will win?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs, twice you were asked if you wanted to be a moderator here, and twice you refused. If you had accepted, then you might have understood the inner workings of the site (at least to some extent)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LF, it is not a question of winning. These forums are a business. And on most other forums, members are always asked to make suggestions on how to improve. After all, a business wants best customer satisfaction. For HTG I have made a number of suggestions in recent years for very small features that would make the lives of the OPs and helpers easier - and I am not asking for a full fledged migration to a modern engine. But up to now there has not been any change in 5 years. And I think that is too bad. A little evolution (not revolution) would go a long way.

LH, Yeah I know. The main reason I did not want to be a mod was because I like the technical work helping people a lot more than any admin work - and I know that there is a lot of that for the mods (who btw I applaud for doing it). Maybe you can send me an email and explain why those small changes cannot be made. I would appreciate. Maybe I am really clueless.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs. How much to hire a top programmer for even just one hour ?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. I was joking about the duel.

@ LH. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I wouldn't think it would take a programmer, just turning on/off a switch. If it can do any BCC Code it should be able to do it all.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I am not up-to-date on prices. I remember when my company sent me to customers, they charged close to $500/hour. But that was over 20 years ago.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I will work for food. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I won't. I don't need to anymore (not to mention old age caught up with me).

Posted 1 year ago

alvasrawuther

@whs - You had your last discussion five years ago, and A LOT CHANGES IN 5 YEARS! Things like bolding of text, italics, underlining,etc. come to be expected when authoring a post. And the simplicity doesn't have to go - with a little more effort, a link for PMs can be added just where the links for all the other PM tools like "Create New Topic",etc. are present and people won't notice it unless they need it. And stuff like quoting people and bolding of text,etc. can be added in a similar way - still keeping it simple. It won't add to any amount of confusion or clutter, it'll only make the simplicity more enriching. Removing useful(and much needed) features is obviously not an excuse to making the forum simple. And quoting other posts to reply to them is a must - even right now, I'm trying to reply to many of your different posts with different contexts in a single reply, and it's harder without quoting you.

I agree with your suggestions on implementing an integrated image hosting service, cloud storage is cheap nowadays and it isn't like HTG is at debt. BTW, if you are having trouble finding good personal image(or file) hosting services, I suggest you take a look at CloudApp(Mac)/FluffyApp(Windows). Some other nice ones are localhostr and imgur.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

alvasrawuther maybe you are too new here to know, but using bbcode on the main forums is not allowed anyway.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.