• Topic Viewed 390 times

whs
whs

The OS arena is getting crowded.

http://dawn.com/2013/02/25/fir.....droid-ios/

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

The more alternatives to windows the better. Even though this is for a phone, if more people shun Microsoft maybe then they will ease up on their quest to control our machines and make it harder to do what we want to do with the machines we pay for.

I guess Gwen Stefani is going to have to go all out on the windows phones advertisements she does.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

That's where you are wrong. Back in the days of mini computers there were many brands each with there own operating system. I was developing and selling a College Admissions program written in Basic. While each manufacturer had a Basic Compiler they were all different and the program had to be basically rewritten for each different manufacturer. The same will happen if there are many different operating systems. Programs will not be able to cross boundaries easily. Communication will become difficult between users who have different operating systems and softwares. Just as there are great differences between the iFolks and the Windows folks this problem will be multiplied exponentially. Then as some will not be able to compete some users will be left with dinosaur systems that can not be or no longer supported. Been there, done that. Don't want to do it again.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I would rather have that choice than to be dictated to by a corporation such as Microsoft. We can already see some of the ramifications of their insistence on Secure Boot and UEFI on all new 8 OEM machines. Besides problems for people running the straight 8 that came with the machine, those wishing to add other OSs to their machines are having to jump through hoops. Hardly seems fair for a machine that is purchased with hard earned dollars. We should be able to use the machine as we wish, but not the same for windows as that is their OS which is copyrighted. Microsoft insists the reason behind all this is security, but there are already rootkits that can bypass all that hyped "security" from that huge corporate machine. I think the underlying motivation is control on MS's part. Being 100% supportive of open source I will never approve of suppression of user freedom and choice. Even within the windows platform I use mostly open source software.

I will always build my machine, but others are not able to do that and suffer under Microsoft.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Let's not forget that this Firefox OS is for phones (at least right now) where M$ does not have a chance anyhow. My guess would be that it will not take long and we'll see it on tablets too. And then it will be interesting.

I think M$ is out for a tough time. No chance in phones, small chance in tablets and losing the PCs in the process. But they will make it on the xBox.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

I think whs's predictions will play out pretty much as he says. People will only take so much crap before they rebel. Who the heck is MS to make it hard for me to use the machine I paid for with my money the way I want to. The only thing on that machine that is theirs is windows. If you read the license agreement you don't actually own that copy of windows, but rather have paid for the "right" to use their property.

Posted 1 year ago

CompWiz
CompWiz

I agree with you guys. However, as Xhi mentioned there will be even more compatability issues and for tech guys like myself will make our job even more difficult. At work all users operate with Windows except for the owners. Guess what they have?...

Yep, MACs.

It is a pain whenever he or she needs to open an excel, pdf, word, ect. from a Windows PC. And that's only one issue.

Posted 1 year ago

sparedparts
sparedparts

I seriously doubt if Xbox will do good for M$. With the new online DRM??? I think they'll lose a lot of customers. Me for one.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.