The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

A MUST NEEDED FEATURE

(20 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by HASH
  • Latest reply from HASH
  • Topic Viewed 2004 times

HASH

Hey Geek, lately i have been on howtogeek very actively. And i am wondering if possible if you can add a feature that lets us know if members are online. It will be very helful because we can consult help from the people that are online. THANKS

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i just had the same idea too

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

yeah, that's a good idea. then we'll know when the other "master geeks" are online.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

I also think it's a good idea.
The usefulness of it must be why it's in most forum software.
Edit: It looks like there is a plugin to do it for bbPress.
Not sure how well it works though.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

yep

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

I'm not in love with this idea on a variety of fronts. My first thought is that questions are usually answered very quickly here anyway and knowing who's online will not expedite replies. Another thought is that many of us leave HTG open in a tab, so while we may appear 'available', that may not be the case. Finally, without a component to remain 'invisible' as in IM, some may be hassled.

The regulars here hang out, um, regularly. We're not hard to reach, as you already know.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

I second Scott.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

The bbpress plugin is actually already installed, but only I can see it at this point.

There's a number of problems with enabling this plugin, the biggest one being whether or not you are shown online as scott mentions, but also that it doesn't work like a regular forum and show you something like "6 members and 123 guests are online".

The other problem is also what scott said.. just because it's showing me online doesn't mean I'm necessarily paying attention. That could give people the wrong idea if they are trying to get ahold of me, or you, or whoever.

Once I solve these problems I might enable it.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

I had thought about that too, I just forgot to put it in my above post.
Maybe if the status indicator was user selectable and there was immediate post notification it would work better.
Like Yahoo Messenger type features. You could select Invisible, Away or Available and any new posts would popup in a new window when posted.

Even just a HTG Forums post notification program itself would be a good idea.
I don't like refreshing the page to find out or waiting 15 minutes for the RSS program to catch new posts.
Then if someone asked a really simple question I can answer it right away.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

i just realized, a possible side effect of knowing who's online, posters might address their issues to specific people, like "@jd2006 i need help with..." or "@whs how do you...?"

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@pipo: One idea I thought of for that case would be an online list that says something like "2 Windows Vista user(s) online, 1 Windows XP user(s) online" instead of "jd2066 and whs online".
Just so people have an idea of if their question could be answered soon. If it said "0 user(s) online" then people would know they need to wait longer for an answer.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

@ jd, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/115
@pipo, exactly.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@Scott: That is about the same as the RSS thing I'm using now except Windows Feeds limits me to 15 minute checking.

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

now that i've said it out loud (typed it out loud, lol), i guess that means i can't do it, just kidding. ^_^

@jd
you have a point, i think that's probably better than seeing who's online.

@scott
does that work on all open tabs/pages or can you set it to just a specific tab/page?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

The extension above is configurable on a per tab basis. In fact, in December it was the tool we used to refresh the Amazon page every 5 seconds to get a Wii ;)

The only downside is you have to reset your preferences every session, that's a bitch and why I rarely use it.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

This may be an interesting discussion but I find it as useful as a hole in the knee. I can usually tell very well who is online by the questions and answers coming in. This together with the posting time (x minutes ago) tells me the story. I think the point Pipo made is very valid and next people will use proxies to disguise their presence. If anything at all, the headcount must be user controlled or a generic number. There are some other features, as we have discussed a while ago, that would be higher on my priority list.

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

One thing is for sure myself and The Geek are always on!

Posted 6 years ago

pipo

@mysticgeek
does that mean that you and The Geek don't sleep? ^_^

Posted 6 years ago

mysticgeek

@ pipo ... that is correct us androids require no sleep.

Posted 6 years ago

HASH

I would like it to look like this

______
Pic Here

______
Hash
>ONLINE<

and maybe VistaUser underneath

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.