How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

A little help on Outlook 2010

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by kashiqirphan
  • Latest reply from kashiqirphan
  • Topic Viewed 885 times

kashiqirphan
kashiqirphan

I run Outlook 2010 on my home computer and on my laptop. I hate it when Outlook on my laptop downloads all the mails which I have already read and replied via my home computer.
Is there a way to avoid this ? More than a couple of my friends have the same trouble, please do give us some help here.

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

There are two things to check. First, In Outlook, select your account under tools/accounts then under 'more settings' and then the 'advanced' tab, make sure there isn't a tick in the 'leave a copy of the email on server' box (if a copy is left then when you check on a different computer it will re-download). Next, depending on your Service Provider, there may be a setting in their email setup page which doesn't remove an email after download until after a certain time - check to see if this is set or not.

Posted 2 years ago

kashiqirphan
kashiqirphan

@Oldgeezer, It sounds to be a nice idea but if I opt not to leave a copy on the email server, I will not be able to search for a particular mail in the future, For which I have to search both on my laptop and on my home desktop, Which could be nearly impossible a lot of times.

I was thinking about this Idea, What if I put the Outlook`s pst file on my dropbox so it would sync between outlook on both computers.

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

It's worth a try I've never come across using dropbox in such a way, but I see know reason why it shouldn't work. The only slight issue would be if you had Outlook open on both computers at the same time, depending on which way Dropbox syncs you could lose data.

Back to your original problem. Leaving it on the server is definitely the reason why you are getting mail downloaded twice - depending on how your isp handles your mail there may be a setting on their webmail section to dictate what happens to mail already downloaded, but that is really just a case of seeing what options you have on their system.

Posted 2 years ago

kashiqirphan
kashiqirphan

I have never used both my computers at the same time, So I dont think it will be a problem. Ill will try it at the earliest and let you know

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Outlook is just an email client , so it is obvious that it will download all the emails from the server to your laptop and of course it won't have any idea that the emails were also download somewhere else. Why don't you choose one of your Outlook to be responsible of downloading the emails on the laptop , and view your emails through web on the other ?

Posted 2 years ago

kashiqirphan
kashiqirphan

@scorpion99, Thanks for your opinion mate, but I don`t want to do it that way

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

how is your outlook configured? as POP3?

Posted 2 years ago

kashiqirphan
kashiqirphan

Ya I have configured it as POP3, You think I should try IMAP ?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.