How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

A good idea!!!

(25 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Lighthouse
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 4078 times

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think we should all download Crossloop, then we can all look at each others setups, programs etc :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

That may be more than what people want. Could be quite invasive. I personally would not like anybody to snoop into my PC. But for bloody beginners that are really lost it might be of help if someone more experienced assisits them that way.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

How did I know that you would be the first one to bite! It's a great program for helping out family and friends with problems. And less of the "bloody" please, you were a beginner once.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

In 1958 when I wrote my first program on a Zuse Z11.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Do I seriously have to tell two grown men to stop fighting? =P

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Taybay, we never fight. We are just having fun. Lighthouse is a friend - I hope.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Oh I know. I'm just joking as well.

Anyway, I think crossloop is a good program to have around. I've used it on a few occasions.. it's not only helpful but also fun. =P

As for using it to help forum users, it should be something we suggest as a last resort. If we immediately suggest it, it may scare users off. Kind of like Michael's tendency to suggest a full system restore to fix simple problems. I like Mike, but that's a bit drastic.

The only thing is that I've found it terribly helpful to be on the phone with the person while simultaneously viewing their computer. Phone chats with forum clients could be a disaster =P

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

You are probably right. For people who accept the deal it may be very helpful: I myself would not like it - but that should be everybodies own decision. I would rather like to have a facility to post snips on the Forum (snip/copy/paste). That would be very useful at times.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Yeah, if we could teach people how to properly upload screenshots, that would help immensely. But.. I'm asking too much, I know.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

and I'm not a grown man, I'm only 51!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@Lighthouse, I thought to have understood that you are retired. Aren't you lucky - you could be my son. I guess I would qualify for "grown man"?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yeah, I retired when I was 41 (on a very small pension) My profession ceased to exist

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

@Lighthouse, it sounds like you followed the steps of Peter Mayle. If you have not done yet, you must absolutely read his books. He is an Englishman who settled in Provence (the Luberon area). Start with "A Year in Provence" ISBN 0-679-73114-8. Once you read this, you will want to read all the others he wrote. I am certain you can relate to his stories.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes, I read the first 2.(he was no influence on me moving here though, that's another story) It is like that here, maybe more so.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

My guess is - they automated your lighthouse

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And all the others

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Glad you didn't panic.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ha Ha Happy New Year

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Likewise, to you and yours <:)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Happy New Year to All. WHS
@Scott, why did you change your nice shield avatar for this scrawny chicken? Wanted to different in 08?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.