SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

A dumb question about burning mp3 discs...

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by RobbieBoy65
  • Latest reply from RobbieBoy65
  • Topic Viewed 1258 times

RobbieBoy65

Hi, sorry if this question is in the wrong forum...

I have a 'Captain Obvious' type question about burning mp3 discs: Previously I have burnt lots of music onto CD-R discs to play in my car, but these have always been standard audio discs. Now that I have just bought an mp3 player for my car, I am all set to burn some mp3 discs for my listening pleasure.

Now that I can burn mp3 discs I can obviously fit a lot more music on each disc- so for example if my fave artist has released 10 CD's, I could probably burn these all onto one disc (I think). However (if I am not mistaken) with CD-R type discs, once I have finalized the 'write' I cannot add to these. So if my fave artist released their 11th album I could not add this to the disc with the 10 albums, yes? Am I correct in saying that if I purchase CD-RW discs on the other hand, I can burn mp3 discs but add to them 'after the fact'?(i.e after finalising write). Sorry to ask such a basic question but I thought I should clarify before starting to burn mp3 discs. Thanks in advance to those kind enough to set me straight.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think with mp3 players, you can just burn the albums as folders. Which means you can add to the CD. I would wait for confirmation tho'.

Posted 6 years ago

RobbieBoy65

Ok, thanks Lighthouse- but I need to use CD-RW's, yes?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No. It's not like burning an audio CD. You are burning it as data.

Posted 6 years ago

RobbieBoy65

So what sort of discs do I use for burning mp3 discs?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I use CD-R

Posted 6 years ago

RobbieBoy65

Ok- thank you Lighthouse.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

RobbieBoy, it used to be that car MP3 players could only handle CD-R discs. I have heard of high-end ones that can do CD-RW as well. You will need to check the manual for your deck to find out what it can handle. Most people use CD-R because they are so very inexpensive when purchased in bulk, just pennies per disc (US pennies). When the band releases album 11, chuck the old disc and make a new one.

As for the folders, again this will vary by deck and you should review the instruction manual. The more primitive decks don't read ID3 tags and therefore can't reorganize the tracks. Another problem that I have seen myself is that a simple deck will only play the tracks in alphabetical order. Then you are forced to prefix 01, 02, etc. to the track name to make it play in album order.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

With CD-R discs you can burn them in multi session mode and that will let you append more files to it if space is available though you can't delete anything from them.
With CD-RW discs you have the ability to erase a disc so you use it again. It's not like a hard drive where you can just remove one file and add another. You would have to erase the whole CD-RW and burn all the files again with your removal changes.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

jd. You can delete files from CD-R disks. You just can't re-use the space.

Posted 6 years ago

RobbieBoy65

Thanks everybody. So, in relation to what jd2066 mentioned with the CD-RW discs: I like the idea of being able to re-write... can I play CD-RW's on my car mp3 player? Are they whole lot more expensive?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.