How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

A complete system profile

(14 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 803 times

whs
whs

I just found this neat program that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your system - and on 1 page. I highly recommend to run it (very easy).

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
Belarc has been around a long time.
Haven't tried it lately but it was and I guess now and even better program with newer version.
You always post good stuff !!!!
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I had hoped that it would be useful for those that had not seen it before - like me. But I am a newbee on a steep learning curve in the PC world.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
Have you taken leave of your senses ??
You are (NO) newbie to any computers or systems !!
Think it is time for you to come home to Florida. (lol) (lol) (lol)
Must be bad water where you live now :) :)
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I really had to laugh. But it is the truth. I only got my first PC last year (actually it was the wife that went out and bought it). But I guess having been around mainframes for 35 years helps a little. However, a first attempt was made by my staff manager in 1991. He got me the top of the line IBM laptop of those days trying to convince me to use it. I thought it was a nice toy. We agreed to put it into my credenza - it never resurfaced from there as long as I was around. So I missed my chance then.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Belarc has been mentioned on this forum many times, but it never hurts to refresh people's memory. Another tool that has been recommended is Everest which is available in a paid version and freeware here:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/S.....tion.shtml

Also, in a pinch, you can try the System Information built in to Windows (msinfo32).

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@ScottW: One thing to note about the Everest Free Version is that it's 3 years old and has been discontinued so it won't be able to identify recent hardware.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

JD, good to know. I did try to use Everest Ultimate once, but found it lacking and gave up on it quickly. Maybe that's because it's too old and discontinued.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

It's just the Free Version that is discontinued. The Ultimate edition still being developed. What did you find lacking about it?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

JD, I don't remember what the problem was. It was back in July and I couldn't get it working, so I abandoned it quickly. As a result, I have no idea whether it's a good utility or not. However, I thought that it should be mentioned on a list of system profile apps.

Posted 5 years ago

snugglez64
snugglez64

i use SIW - http://www.gtopala.com/ i think its the greatest system info but i will give this one a go to compare

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, Yes, msinfo32 is a good source of info. But it generates a huge file with a lot more info than one usually needs. What I liked about Belarc is that it is fast and gives you the essentials.
Btw: I had never seen Belarc mentioned here, but that is probably my problem. I suspected already that I was one of the few who was behind the information curve.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

@whs, do a search and you will see prior mentions of Belarc. Sometimes you can be unaware of a tool that's been around for a while until you really need it. Then, when you find one you like, it's like a discovery -- look what I found! I'm not recommending msinfo32 as the best or first tool, only one that can be used in a pinch when you are at a friends or on a system with no Internet, etc.

@Snugglez64, SIW is a good addition to this list, thanks. I went to check and see that at least one of these is on the UBCD4Win Disc and it turns out to be SIW.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Good point ScottW. I have been sailing in relatively quiet waters, so my need for tools was limited. I mostly look at them out of curiosity. And they may be useful to help others.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!